Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started soooo nicely. Got everything ready to fly to VA, took the day off and all that. Arrived very early, boarded as priority, noticed that nobody else was boarding after the first dozen or so people. "They're fixing something......" Huh. Well, glad they caught it on the ground! :blush2:

Two hours of tarmac later, after the safety briefing, as planes lined up to the horizon, "Going back to a gate." Apparently the weather was bad, tornado watch (hard to tell from the plane/terminal.) Got to the gate, they said, "We're gonna refuel, you can get off the plane for now........ oh and better take your things just in case." Great, not optimistic about this.
My wheelie case was in the belly, they wouldn't let me carry it on.

At the new gate, chaos. Many flights cancelled, but not ours! Just "flight closed" as the status. After some waiting and mindless wandering, status on board shows "cancelled." We were told to call a number and rebook. Asked the agent where to get my bag, they told me carousel A.

Ran down, no bag, more wandering, text message said "flight is just delayed until 6:30." Tried to get back in- need another boarding pass. Went to kiosk- one credit card didn't work, nor the next, nor the next.... finally got mine recognized, but a note came out "no flight info at this time."

Checked with an information person, she looked at a computer printout and gave us a card with another number to call. Went back to security, "We can't let you in without the boarding pass, there are cameras on us and if they see us let you in, we'd get in trouble."

John pointed out that I had asked the person at the *new* gate we returned to, and that they gave me the carousel for THAT flight. Somebody else said "carousel D." Ran to that one- no bag among the many that were left out.

The lines for the ticket counter were obscene, so there was no way to get a boarding pass within the half hour before the rescheduled flight. Went to the baggage guy and told him my problem; he said to wait on the line and get the new pass. I told him it was too long. "Well, in the time you spend talking to ME, you could be up there on the line."

:skep: :mad5:

:incazzato: "By the time I get to the counter, the flight will be gone!! Why not just cut to the chase and file a claim for the bag now?!"

He told me that (theoretically I'm sure) the bag would just end up in a secured office like the one he was in, and I could pick it up once we eventually made it down there.

Fine, that's the best I could hope for. Too bad we didn't keep the bagels on the plane, our family would've been happy getting those shipped at least!

Meanwhile, I keep getting texts from the airline saying "Your flight has been rescheduled for [five minutes from this text.] Check the monitors for updated info." The monitors said "cancelled." :crazy:

Couldn't convince John to drive halfway down tonight, get a hotel, and drive the rest of the way tomorrow morning. He refuses to drive this route, even if I do most of the driving.

So we could've waited on that line for a new boarding pass after all, but not according to the "updates" I was getting.

John called the reservations number, seems that the flight really has been delayed all along, so we're probably screwed as a result.

Love it when a day off is spent getting hassled at the airport. :rolleyes: Meanwhile all my good summer clothing and stuff will probably never be seen again. :cry:

Anyway. All I can do is vent. The migraine meds seem to help when taken pro-actively. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Kafka-esque experience in the frenetic Big Apple. Traffic on the NJ Turnpike will be awful of course, but heck, if you leave right now at midnight, should get to DC metro in 4 hours, and be there by sun up! :thumbsup: Just ya'll and the semis!

How you going to retrieve your luggage?

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
That sucks. Good luck!

For eastern seaboard travel, train is the way to go. Starts and ends in my little Podunk town in Virginia.

We have an o dark thirty depart time from here in Vancouver BC in the AM and I'm sure all the vacation and Canada goodwill will be blown to hell within a few hours of starting. Killing time now waiting for the Canada Day fireworks to start. Enjoying it to the last minute!

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
I absolutely hate the "cattle car" aspect of flying commercially these days (and can't afford private jets). I will not fly unless it is completely unavoidable.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience, and particularly that your husband refused to drive. I get out to Illinois on business every so often. Over the years I've driven the round trip from NJ three times. It's an easy, thirteen+ hour drive if timed carefully. I now hate flying so much that I have to be dissuaded from driving.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I can fully understand John's attitude about not wanting to drive.

Driving I95 between Boston and, well about anything to the south, sucks.

Big time, and especially on a Friday of a holiday weekend.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Christine. My advice would be to get loaded and watch fireworks on TV. Turn the sound up and the lights off and it's almost nothing at all like being there. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
Can't we all just have fun where we are at?
Sometimes changing locality is a relief in of itself, especially if ... it is for a family gathering in another state.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I even offered to do the driving, but John maintains that it's still not worth it.

It all worked out, we even got bumped up to first class on the first leg of the rebooked flight! Called around and got a hold of the security office in CHO Airport, and when I asked about a lost bag, they said, "Oh that's YOUR bag! Yeah it's right here." Nothing missing from it, either :cool:

Although, it sucks seeing the family for such a short time. Luckily, the oldest niece/nephew would like to come to NYC and visit on their own. I told them to make it soon, b/c we might not be living here much longer!!

The younger nieces/nephews are learning to ski, so we might meet up with them for that later in the year. Ah, but that would require another flight......

One family's in CA, the rest are in VA and at least an hour from one another. It really is frustrating.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I even offered to do the driving, but John maintains that it's still not worth it.

It all worked out, we even got bumped up to first class on the first leg of the rebooked flight! Called around and got a hold of the security office in CHO Airport, and when I asked about a lost bag, they said, "Oh that's YOUR bag! Yeah it's right here." Nothing missing from it, either :cool:

Although, it sucks seeing the family for such a short time. Luckily, the oldest niece/nephew would like to come to NYC and visit on their own. I told them to make it soon, b/c we might not be living here much longer!!

The younger nieces/nephews are learning to ski, so we might meet up with them for that later in the year. Ah, but that would require another flight......

One family's in CA, the rest are in VA and at least an hour from one another. It really is frustrating.
Its a little pricey but taking the Acela to DC and then a local train is probably not all that much more time when you factor in early arrival, security, etc

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Its a little pricey but taking the Acela to DC and then a local train is probably not all that much more time when you factor in early arrival, security, etc
I agree. Last time I went to NYC from DC, we took AmTrak. Sat in the quiet car. It sure beat the hell out of flying which I'm certain would have taken at least as long. Plus, I always get the middle seat, smushed between two fat people. we contemplated driving, but parking in Manhattan for a week costs almost as much as the train tickets. And it's not like anyone needs a car there.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Kafka-esque experience in the frenetic Big Apple. Traffic on the NJ Turnpike will be awful of course, but heck, if you leave right now at midnight, should get to DC metro in 4 hours, and be there by sun up! :thumbsup: Just ya'll and the semis!

How you going to retrieve your luggage?
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fredrico again."
Poo! The RBR gods are mean.
"Kafka-esque" was the perfect reference.

Sorry for your travel troubles, Christine! Ugh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts