Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
More useless information...

I have had 4 Trek bikes since 84, 1 lugged steel, 3 carbon. Of the three carbons, one was a 3-tube 2500 model from 87, and the others were OCLV from 97 and 03 (the 03 being a warranty replacement for the 97). The steel bike was bought new in 84 and stolen in 99.

This info came from the Aegis website, and provides some insight into Trek's early work with carbon:

"Initially, our team was contracted by Trek to produce carbon fiber tubing (pre-OCLV) for their model 2500. The Trek 2500 was manufactured by bonding carbon fiber tubing to aluminum lugs. Even though the 2500 was a huge success and marked a key turning point in the bicycle industry, it still employed traditional construction processes - lugging. By joining carbon fiber tubing to aluminum lugs, we felt carbon's greatest inherent quality, shock absorption, was lost. While super-strong and light weight, these models suffered from a rough ride. Once again, improving on a good idea, our team set out to produce all carbon monocoque (one piece) frame in order to take full advantage of carbon fiber's shock absorption and strength qualities.
In 1986, our team manufactured the first monocoque bicycle frame manufactured in the USA. Confident with our technology, Trek, a traditional steel and aluminum manufacturer, strongly supported the project. As a result, the Trek model 5000 (also pre-OCLV) was introduced, the world's first mass production carbon fiber monocoque. Fortunately, for a variety of reasons, this relationship with Trek ended shortly thereafter."

It then goes on to describe how their company split and became Aegis (east coast) and Kestrel (west coast):

"With strongly opposed manufacturing philosophies, we parted ways with members intent on producing frames utilizing the monocoque/one piece construction technique. While the "other half" went West to establish Cycle Composites d/b/a Kestrel, we, here in Maine, applied for and were awarded another new patent for forming our frames utilizing our new, revolutionary three-piece concept."

So both Aegis and Kestrel owe a lot of their early experience working with carbon to doing contract work for Trek. I have to admit I had never heard of that "pre-OCLV" 5000 model, although I remember that the base 105-equipped OCLV from the 90's was also called a 5000.

One other minor correction to the above thread - the 3-tube bikes (2500/2300/2100) were sold as a lower-priced alternative to the OCLV's up through 1998 (they're in my 98 brochure). They were replaced by the Aluminum 2500/2300 bikes in 1999.
-Dave

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.