Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with traveling from the US to Europe via Air Canada? I was looking at fares for July travel and the lowest fare I can find is on Air Canada. It also looks like Air Canada's fee for a bike is only $50 each way. After my horrible return flights on Icelandic in 2007 and USAirways in 2008, I don't have high expectations of any airline, but I would appreciate any input on Air Canada. One concern I have regards a transfer in Toronto. Will I have to recheck my bags and go through immigration and customs in Canada? Or will I be allowed to stay in a transit area and only have to deal with immigration and customs in France and the US? Also, does anyone have any experience with bike transport on Air Canada?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We Canadians love to hate Air Canada. Compared to the other Canadian airline, Westjet, I personally have always found Air Canada to be late, unreliable, and tending to lose bags. Plus their employee relations are poor, which is reflected in the quality of front-line service.

Also 1 May is when the contracts expire for most of their major unions, so there may be job action around that time.

However, all that being said, if they offered the lowest price on a fare, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I'm sure they will get you there and back safely and more or less on time.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
How much is Virgin Atlantic? I know they do have some decent prices at times and if you get them, they're pretty awesome indeed.

Or Lufthansa. But, I'm sure they're a lot more costly when compared to Air Canada.

I don't think it'd be THAT bad anyway and I'm sure it beats Air China when they tricked Terry B into thinking it was Lufthansa instead.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Is this the part where I remind you that I got a non-stop for $858 from Houston to Charles de Gaulle? Would that be rubbing it in?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
teoteoteo said:
Is this the part where I remind you that I got a non-stop for $858 from Houston to Charles de Gaulle? Would that be rubbing it in?
No, coz he got to visit the 51st state of America, and you didn't.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
teoteoteo said:
Yes, it would be. :p The Air Canada fare is just under $1,000 (it keeps shifting in the $950-975 range). If the Air Canada website is correct regarding the bike handing fee ($50 each way), I still will be doing better than I did last year on US Airways or the year before on Icelandic.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Yes, I do. I flew Air Canada from Chicago - Toronto - London, with a final destination of Delhi. Most of the passengers from Chicago were Indians. We had a long mechanical delay in Toronto during which the flight crew would not let us off the aircraft. This lasted for 5 hours, and the passengers were begging to be allowed to de-plane. We were at the gate.

The flight crew was unbelievably rude, and I got the distinct impression that they were keeping us on board because they didn't give a crap about the Indian passengers, who were mostly cheapest ticket travelers who were making a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Keeping us on the plane would save them a few minutes when the problem was solved and they were finally able to fly.

It was 5 hours of yelling, crying kids, no air circulation, and acrimony. I would not fly them again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.