Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Cal while nice, isn't always nice as far as air quality goes. Before my rides, I check the AQI so I have an idea what I'm in for. At what point would some of you not ride relative to what they say the AQI is at?

Some days, I get confused because it seems good but the rating is unhealthful. I usually don't go out if it is worse than moderate.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
When the air gets chunky, it's time to stay inside. Of course, the air inside had to come from somewhere, so yer probably equally screwed in the house.

I've had rides on bad air quality days where my lungs definitely felt a little... burnt. You know that feeling you used to get the morning after hanging out in a smoky bar all night? like that.

· Bikespace member
4,461 Posts
i stay in when my eyes burn. with all the fires up in nor-cal, there were a few of those days. it's still hazy out, but my eyes aren't burning and I've gone out with no problems.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Why do you live where the air is a poison?

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Air quality in Norcal is not very good right now because of all the fires. I think it's 150, last week it was over 300 (off the charts). Big heat wave on the way, triple digit temps. So far it hasn't bothered me. I ride in the morning it gets worse in the afternoon (I'm retired).

· Registered
5,844 Posts
If the air quality is bad due to ozone, it's OK to ride in the morning because ozone needs heat and sunlight to form so it doesn't get high until the afternoons. However, if particle pollution (PM) is the problem, the air quality can be bad at any time during the day. I will ride in Code Orange conditions but stay off my bike and take it easy when it's Code Red. Code Orange means unhealthy for sensitive groups, which generally means the elderly, young children and people with heart or lung disease. Code Red (or Purple) means the air quality is unhealthy for everyone.

· Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
Kuma601 said:
So Cal while nice, isn't always nice as far as air quality goes. Before my rides, I check the AQI so I have an idea what I'm in for. At what point would some of you not ride relative to what they say the AQI is at?

Some days, I get confused because it seems good but the rating is unhealthful. I usually don't go out if it is worse than moderate.
I go by feel.
I have asthma, and if my chest starts to feel tight, I go to the gym instead.

· On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
jake21 said:
Life is TOO short to live where there is pollution like that. That is one of three reasons I moved from Houston to the cleanest air in the country.

Jake
Praytell....

· No Barry supporter here!
17 Posts
Dr_John said:
Actually, I thought you were joking, but I guess not. If you want be be taken more seriously, at least put a clever quote in your signature that was really said by who you're attributing it to:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/candidate.asp

Yeah, I know, snopes is part of the vast liberal conspiracy too.

Touche my friend! I'll have to research some more but a good source quoted me this as Gore. If so, I retract my signature.

Doesn't mean I'll quit poking fun at the idiot left though...:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.