Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The New York Times has an article about airbag vests that equestrians are wearing. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/24/sports/24airbag.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp Near the end of the article, there is a mention of potential use of airbags in mountainbiking. If you had told me 30 years ago that most road cyclists would be wearing helmets, I would have laughed at you. So, will airbags become standard equipment for cyclists one day?

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
naw

I've have this on order. Safer, and faster.

·
Registered
479 Posts
dont think so. something strapped to your body, will get uncomfortable after a while. when u ride a horse its for a short time, and you are not working that hard, you dont sweat, your body temp. will not rise that much, you are not making hard efforts., it adds weight. . unless is super light weight, super comfy, it brings some kind of coolant etc etc. I dont see it could work for road cycling

·
Done
4,509 Posts
MarkS said:
The New York Times has an article about airbag vests that equestrians are wearing. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/24/sports/24airbag.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp Near the end of the article, there is a mention of potential use of airbags in mountainbiking. If you had told me 30 years ago that most road cyclists would be wearing helmets, I would have laughed at you. So, will airbags become standard equipment for cyclists one day?
Airbag vests for motocyclists are starting to show up in this country. Can't see it making much of a dent with the Harley crowd. A natural, though, for the sport bike crowd.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Motorcyclists have something similar.

Will you see it on bicyclists? Not likely but with enough money you can put a burr up some safety advocate @ss and they'll push it until it's accepted by the public.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
malanb said:
...when u ride a horse its for a short time, and you are not working that hard, you dont sweat, your body temp. will not rise that much, you are not making hard efforts.,..
I'm thinking you haven't ever ridden a horse going fast.

BTW safety concerns for a horse and rider are quite a bit different than a bicyclist. On a horse you are much higher off the ground and when you ride a bike if you crash and the bike falls on you it weighs a whole lot less than a horse falling on you.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MB1 said:

BTW safety concerns for a horse and rider are quite a bit different than a bicyclist. On a horse you are much higher off the ground and when you ride a bike if you crash and the bike falls on you it weighs a whole lot less than a horse falling on you.
I agree with both of your statements. I took riding lessons when I was in college (I was a city kid who wanted to experience country life :) ). The riding instructors said that you had to be thrown three times before you could say you were a rider. I was thrown twice before quit. Other than when I crashed my bike while going downhill at 44 mph and when I was hit by a car, I never have been as bruised and shaken by a bike fall as I was by both times that I was thrown by a horse while riding fast.

·
Registered
479 Posts
MB1 said:

oh i've ridden fast horses. not like in a derby of course. but how long are those races anyways??
and it is no way similar as going over 42 km/h on a bike for more than an hour
maybe you havent ever ridden you bike fast enough for yourself.
then tell me if you are really sweating and about body temp.
no way close to riding a horse.

and yes falling from a horse hurts. and it is a longer fall. and different froma bike fall.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
they need to put airbags on tree's and rear bumpers of cars...and maybe doors and front bumpers...that would be better

·
Registered
479 Posts
desurfer said:
"Know who you're talking to" epic fail.
I really don't care who he is. I'm just saying you can't compare efforts and duration on both sports. and cycling "racing" is way harder. Than a 5 min horse race or jumping a fence

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I'm thinking a lot of these comments remind me of the stuff I heard when foam bicycle helmets started coming along...

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
besides... bikers are too free-spirited and fun-loving to wear that kind of safety gear... it harshes the mellow.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I do believe in upping cyclist body protection, but I'm not sure if an airbag would do it. I'm hoping towards a jersey and shorts/tights material that will slide on asphalt easily, won't shred and therefore minimize road rash.

But when considering weight, price, and comfort, that'll be a tough one.

·
Registered
591 Posts
malanb said:
dont think so. something strapped to your body, will get uncomfortable after a while. when u ride a horse its for a short time, and you are not working that hard, you dont sweat, your body temp. will not rise that much, you are not making hard efforts., it adds weight. . unless is super light weight, super comfy, it brings some kind of coolant etc etc. I dont see it could work for road cycling

Someone's never actually ridden a horse, much less an eventer. (notice I said "actually ridden" not "sat on").

Upper division Cross Country phases alone can top 4 miles and must be ridden at essentially a full gallop to avoid severe time penalties (which will essentially eliminate you from placing). On top of this there are 20+ 5 to 6 foot obstacles (with some of them being just as wide as well) that must be cleared. These obstacles do not come down, so penalty for misjudgement is high.

I assure you riding a horse at these speeds (forget the jumps) is physically exerting. Jumping a horse (forget that height and speed) is physically demanding and mentally exhausting. Put them together and it is most certainly a mental and physical workout. Forget the fact that horses of this level are not exactly easy on their riders. Even when they are being good and communication is perfect they are pulling on the bridle (steady contact from both parties is actually the goal, but steady contact for a horse means they are using their 300lb head to pull on you....). Forget when they get excited and start shaking their head or really pulling; quite the workout assuming you want to stay on and in control.

You most certainly sweat, a lot... and your body temp rises, and not making hard efforts, what a joke!

Yea, it may be a different exercise than riding a bike 100 miles a day for 2 weeks straight, but you're a fool to consider it easy and not exerting.

What you are saying is equivalent to someone riding a huffy around their cul-de-sac for 10 minutes at 3 mph and declaring that cycling is not exercise and is easy. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts