Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've booked a round trip ticket to Europe via British Airways. Flying from the US to Europe it's an actual BA flight. But on the way back they put me on an American Airlines flight. These two companies have very different policies when it comes to bikes. Essentially BA is free and American is not. Will I have to pay the American fees on the return trip even though I booked with BA and my contract is technically with them?

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I've booked a round trip ticket to Europe via British Airways. Flying from the US to Europe it's an actual BA flight. But on the way back they put me on an American Airlines flight. These two companies have very different policies when it comes to bikes. Essentially BA is free and American is not. Will I have to pay the American fees on the return trip even though I booked with BA and my contract is technically with them?
it should be the agreement with the ticket issuer. Good news is you'll check in through the BA counter.
Sorry for the AA flight in any case.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
it should be the agreement with the ticket issuer. Good news is you'll check in through the BA counter.
Sorry for the AA flight in any case.
Negative. Baggage is often subject to the "most significant carrier" rule. I.e. the carrier operating the longest leg sets the rules.

OTOH, coming back from Mallorca in May, we flew Condor from Mallorca to Franfurt then Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Denver and we had to pay the Condor baggage fee for our bikes. So, it depends. Baggage rules and their application seem totally random in practice.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,954 Posts
Whatever costs you more money and is more annoying. That is how airline travel is.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm SOL and BA essentially told me tough doo-doo. They wouldn't even give me an extra bag on the outbound BA flight to help balance the costs.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Well, I'm SOL and BA essentially told me tough doo-doo. They wouldn't even give me an extra bag on the outbound BA flight to help balance the costs.
Sorry to hear, but not surprising at all. Airlines suck, especially when it comes to bikes.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
so what were the baggage fees, specifially? Heard stories of folks paying $200 per flight, each way.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Delta charges the same for a bike as any extra bag and ignores the oversize and overweight limits up to 115 inches and 70 lbs. It is $150 each way to and from Europe from the US.
so what were the baggage fees, specifially? Heard stories of folks paying $200 per flight, each way.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
ouch, even $150 adds up, for a couple that would be $600 return (and $780 in my Cdn currency)

hope this helps pay for my break-down travel bike I am building, which fits into regulation size S&S luggage

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ouch, even $150 adds up, for a couple that would be $600 return (and $780 in my Cdn currency)

hope this helps pay for my break-down travel bike I am building, which fits into regulation size S&S luggage
It's $150 per route, not leg. So in total for this trip I'll be paying $150 + easyJet fee between my flight into Europe and out. EasyJet is only $50 if you buy online I believe.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Trouble is, if it is an extra bag, it does not make any difference. You'll pay the same amount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts