Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be flying back and forth between homes, and it would be nice to be able to bring my bike w/o paying oversize fees. I have an extra set of wheels, so I won't need to transport them.

Are there any cases that are small enough to remain w/in airline regulations? I can take the fork off.

After scouring the web, I found the Hen House travel case. It's two pieces which is convenient, but has a hefty price tag. And like I mentioned before, I don't need the wheel bag.

http://www.rustersports.com/index.p...ion=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9&vmcchk=1&Itemid=9

Any suggestions? I was thinking about getting a case intended for something else to put my bike frame, fork, and handlebars into, but I don't know what this would be.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
I cou ld be wrong, but

I don't think it's possible. If you stripped the bike down to a bare frame, and used a box that barely contained it, and your frame was fairly small, you'd be right on the edge of the maximum standard baggage size. The only way I know that people do this is with S&S Couplers, with which you can make a bike frame that comes apart.

Maybe it would be easier to get another bike to keep at the other home ;-)

· Banned
7,191 Posts
there are some 20" wheeled folders with good performance... Those will fit in a standard piece of luggage.

· Registered
6,077 Posts
Hah! good luck. The airlines are currently contemplating pay toilets. With what those gougers charge for an oversize bag, you could pretty quickly justify a second bike for your second home.

· Banned
7,191 Posts

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Rhino4Five said:
What is a wheel folder?.
He said "20" wheeled folder". i.e., a folding bike with small wheels -- actually, some have wheels smaller than 20 inches. Some of them, like the ones made by Bike Friday, work remarkably well, handling much like a normal road bike, but folding small enough to fit in a checkable suitcase.

· Registered
802 Posts
Don't mess with the airline! Ship the bike FedEx or UPS instead. These days, it's cheaper than what the airlines charge plus you can insure your bike for the replacement value should the shipper lose or destroy it.

The airlines? They'll be quick to invoke their "Warsaw Convention" liability limits and only pay you $800 should something bad happen to your steed.

· old school drop out
1,578 Posts
Lazy Spinner said:
Don't mess with the airline! Ship the bike FedEx or UPS instead. These days, it's cheaper than what the airlines charge plus you can insure your bike for the replacement value should the shipper lose or destroy it.
Currently they only insure against loss of a bike, not damage.

In the past both UPS and Fed Ex did insure against damage. However, I have received damaged bikes from both companies (and it was obvious that it was inflicted during transit), and neither company every paid any money towards the damage. So even an insurance policy against damage is pretty useless. :(

SlingShot also makes a folding bike that uses 700c wheels, and Ritchey and Dacon (spelling?) use the "BreakAway" systems. These bike should be able to fit into the same size box as an S&S Coupled bike.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
JCavilia said:
He said "20" wheeled folder". i.e., a folding bike with small wheels -- actually, some have wheels smaller than 20 inches. Some of them, like the ones made by Bike Friday, work remarkably well, handling much like a normal road bike, but folding small enough to fit in a checkable suitcase.

I have a Bike Friday Pocket Companion, and have never been charged for it. It breaks down to fit in a suitcase for the plane, or a bag for the bus. I leave the suitcase at the hotel I'm staying at the last night, then tour by bike and bus.

· Don't Tread on Me
994 Posts
I just went through the same dilemma.

I ended up building a box 25.5" x 25.5" x 9" for the wheels and everything I took off the bike ( seat, pedals, etc ) and checked it as baggage.

I build a box 40" x 8" x 25" for the frame, and shipped it USPS Express Mail ( overnight ) for $71.00 insured.

This was the fastest, safest option in my experience.

· Registered
592 Posts
airline max is 62" length + width + height for checked baggage. Even the smallest normal road frame will not make the cut. Ritchey breakaway, bike w/S&S couplers, or one of those bike friday rigs are pretty much the only options that meet max checked baggage size. I use a steel Ritchey Breakaway as I travel alot for work. It is actually a couple of inches too big based on the criteria above, but it is so close no one hassles me about it.

· Registered
93 Posts
i am not sure if this would fit a roadbike but
here a idea it called the DK "Golf" Bike Flight Bag if fits 20 inch bike with no problems
like i said im am not sure if a road bike can fit it just a idea
now if u had the folging bike it wouldnt be a issue
http://www.danscomp.com/731010.php#

· Registered
2,655 Posts
US Airlines

My domestic travel in the US has been limited the past 10 years and all pre-dates this pay for checked bags nonsense. When I moved from Shanghai to Singapore, I flew economy with my Colnago, only the front wheel off, in a bike box. Was charged zero. I guess at some point I will have to face the music but hopefully not for a couple of more years.

Hickey's point is valid re: having a bike or bikes at each house. I got bikes currently stashed around the world just to avoid such a problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.