Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys here's the deal:

I'm swapping out an 05 Tarmac comp frame for an 06 for size reasons. My lbs is just bringing in a complete 06 Tarmac Comp for the swap. I asked him about the Aksiums on the 06 as compared to the Alex 330's on my current bike.
I'm a rec rider as well as a Clydesdale (190). I can feel the 330's flex when hammering which is why I asked about the Aksiums. Lbs offered to take the 330's and $150 for the Aksiums when we do the frame swap.
Is it worth it?
Keep in mind that it's the Aksiums or nothing. I've got a kid on the way so the $150 is all the money there will be on hand.:D

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Scottyluck said:
I can feel the 330's flex when hammering which is why I asked about the Aksiums.
Neither of those would be very stiff... but stiffness really isn't an issue. I also doubt that flex in the wheels is what you are feeling. So many people talk about how stiff their Ksyriums are, but in reality they are a lot flexier than a "normal" wheel.

I'd stick with what you have unless the hubs are giving you trouble.

· Registered
237 Posts
The Aksium wheels were on sale at the Richmond,VA Performance shop for 180$ before coupons or Team P rebates.My final cost for a rear only=82$ using a 10$ coupon and counting the Team P points.The rim appears to be a CXP22 with 24 spokes, a 490gram rim in 32 holes.Have not ridden yet - appears bombproof but heavy.The shop is giving you a poor deal on the swap.

· Registered
3 Posts
I just bought the Aksiums and I am very pleased with them. I am 220 lbs and Put a lot of torque to the real wheel. These wheels are very very stiff and they are very responsive when out of the saddle and hammering. I took them to a Crit right out of the box and I was blown away by how well they respond and how stiff they are especially for my weight. This is a great wheel for the price I am a college student and cant afford to get the higher end wheels, but these are very good wheels for the price. The bearings are also really smooth, if the room is quiet and you spin the front wheel you can hear the magnet triggering the speed sensor and nothing else. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.