Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not posted often to this forum in the past, but I'm a seasoned poster on MTBR.

I have an opportunity to purchase from a local private seller an NOS (~2004 vintage) Eisentraut stage race frameset with Henry James dropouts (stainless?) and fork crown. It has never been built and the steerer has never been cut. It is made of steel tubing, although the exact combination of tubes used remains a mystery.

Can someone please let me know a bit about this builder and potential value of such a frameset. I'm looking for a frame to take me the next 10+ years.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,644 Posts
Scooderdude said:
I've not posted often to this forum in the past, but I'm a seasoned poster on MTBR.

I have an opportunity to purchase from a local private seller an NOS (~2004 vintage) Eisentraut stage race frameset with Henry James dropouts (stainless?) and fork crown. It has never been built and the steerer has never been cut. It is made of steel tubing, although the exact combination of tubes used remains a mystery.

Can someone please let me know a bit about this builder and potential value of such a frameset. I'm looking for a frame to take me the next 10+ years.

Thanks!
hey, if it doesn't fit you, I'll take it off your hands for cheap (as long as it is a 58)

ps - worthless without pics
 

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
Joined
·
7,364 Posts
Eisentraut is arguably the greatest American framebuilder. Frames don't get any better.
 

·
monkey with flamethrower
Joined
·
821 Posts
Eisentraut is the greatest of the American framebuilders. He's old school and grumpy and doesn't get the media hype that many of the newer builders do so most cyclists have not heard of this great man. Buy it if it fits.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
519 Posts
Mapei said:
Eisentraut is arguably the greatest American framebuilder. Frames don't get any better.


No disrespect to Eisentraut, but to make a blanket statement like that is ridiculous. Eisentraut is one of the best though. There are several other older builders worthy of this consideration as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Riding Eisentraut for 10 years, great bike

I have an Eisentraut steel frame (yes, what tubes used are a mystery), been a great bike for me for 10 years. Compared to my Litespeed Tuscany, it is a heavy bike, but the ride is great as is the fit. I don't ride it as much as the Litespeed these days, but I still ride it, and still like it. I bought it from a LBS as a complete build, about 10 years ago, I think the frame and fork, with the paint you see in the pic (taken in the rain, at the Kansas City MS 150 in 2006), for like $1300 -- WHAT A BARGAIN -- custom to fit me too.

Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Contacted Albert couple years ago, he had records

55/Rad said:
Doug - beautiful bike.

Top tube looks nice and short - my style - what size is that? I'm guessing a 60 x 56/57?
The frame measurements (measured center to center) are:

size 61.0cm chainstay 41.0cm
top tube 57.5cm drop 6.6cm
head angle 74.5 ° fork rake 4.6cm
seat angle 74.4 °

I am almost 6'3" tall, have long legs and short torso, hence the somewhat tall, short front-to-back frame.

By the way, that dirty tape, that doesn't look so good in pic, is gone now, replaced with solid Bontrager yellow tape. It was Hotter n Hell 100 ride theme tape, red chili peppers on a yellow background. Looked lots better up close, and when it was clean (it just wouldn't come clean, so I replaced it after this pic). Otherwise the bike is still the same as in the pic, Dura-Ace 9 (full group), and 2006 Ksyrium SSL wheels.

Been a great bike, I would recommend an Eisentraut frame to anyone.

Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! I haven't any photos of the frame that I can post, currently. But I will have some (and perhaps the frame) early next week.

The frame size appears to be proper for me (I am also a 56/56 sort of dude), but I am trying, now, to determine if it was built for a megamorph or skinny guy (155-160 lb.) like me. Heck, I hope it wasn't built for a 140 pounder, either!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
I don't think you will regret it if you purchase the frame...

Scooderdude said:
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! I haven't any photos of the frame that I can post, currently. But I will have some (and perhaps the frame) early next week.

The frame size appears to be proper for me (I am also a 56/56 sort of dude), but I am trying, now, to determine if it was built for a megamorph or skinny guy (155-160 lb.) like me. Heck, I hope it wasn't built for a 140 pounder, either!
Provided it is a reasonably good fit for you. The big draw to an Eisentraut frame for me was getting a custom, made for me, fit for a reasonable price. In buying someone else's frame, you aren't really getting the "custom fit" part of the equation. Being a steel frame, if you are 160 pounds, I doubt you would have any problems with a frame built for a 140 pound rider, or a 180 pound rider, if there is even much difference in steel frame building for those weights. I don't know this for sure, however I wouldn't think you would get a noodly steel frame from a prominent builder, or a brutually stiff one, unless it was constructed for a rider of substantially less (or more) weight than you, not just 15 or 20 pounds difference.

Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DBtheCyclist said:
Provided it is a reasonably good fit for you. The big draw to an Eisentraut frame for me was getting a custom, made for me, fit for a reasonable price. In buying someone else's frame, you aren't really getting the "custom fit" part of the equation. Being a steel frame, if you are 160 pounds, I doubt you would have any problems with a frame buile for a 140 pound rider, or a 180 pound rider, if there is even much difference in steel frame building for those weights. I don't know this for sure, however I wouldn't think you would get a noodly steel frame from a prominent builder, or a brutually stiff one, unless it was constructed for a rider of substantially less (or more) weight than you, not just 15 or 20 pounds difference.

Doug
Well, that's sure a good thing to know - thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Recent email address for Mr. Eisentraut

I meant to include this in a prior post, here is a working email address for Mr. Eisentraut, [email protected], actually from about a year and a half ago, when I corresponded with him about my frame (got the build specs), and inquired about him building me a titanium frame, which he would have done, was just too pricey for me. If you want to talk about his frames, or have questions, based on my expeience he will return your email and answer your questions.

I ended up getting a Litespeed Tuscany and Easton EC90-SLX fork on closeout from Colorado Cyclist (standard off the rack 61cm size, slightly longer top tube (about 1 cm), and slightly slacker angles) for about $2000 (or more, I don't know if the Eisentraut price he quoted included a fork) less than the Eisentraut ti frame would have been. Basically, I got the Litespeed frame, Easton fork, full Dura-Ace 10 speed, Ksyrium ES complete bike for about what the Eisentraut ti frame would have cost. This (riding a custom for 10 years, now an off-the-rack frame) topic could fuel a whole other debate, custom fit vs. non-custom fit. Although the Tuscany fits me different, most notably in seat to bars drop, Eisentraut was 3.25 " or so, Tuscany is about 4.75", I am comfortable on both bikes -- I ride distances up to century rides, 5.5 hours give or take, of time on the saddle.

Doug
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
519 Posts
DBtheCyclist said:
I meant to include this in a prior post, here is a working email address for Mr. Eisentraut, [email protected], actually from about a year and a half ago, when I corresponded with him about my frame (got the build specs), and inquired about him building me a titanium frame, which he would have done

You sure about that? I don't think Eisentraut is equipped for making titanium frames. He specializes in steel only.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top