Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
JoelS said:
I'm thinking about a wheel build around a pair of Alchemy hubs. Anyone use them? Comments about them? They were recommended and I don't know much about 'em.

Thanks.
I have Alchemy Elf+Orc laced to Edge 45 clinchers using Extralite Alien2 skewers. Compared to the Rolf Elans I used to have these are much stiffer, lighter and seemly spin up faster. Compared to my old trainers which were Open Pro hoops + Dura Ace hubs there is no comparison for road racing and/or crits. In short, I really love mine.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,214 Posts
The Alchemy hubs are easily the best on the market currently. Great machining tolerances, wide flange spacing, outstanding durability, and to boot they are made right here in the US. They seem to be ideal for bigger guys who have issues with lateral flex on other hubs while climbing. I have sold easily 50+ sets of the ELF/ORC combo and the only complaint that I have gotten back is that they build too stiff of a wheel for smaller riders.

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
I am just about to write a comment on the shop I got my wheels from. Front hub = Alchemy E.L.F from first version with Enduro 0 grade 3 ceramic bearings, had a problem with some lateral play. Turned out it was a production/spec problem with the axle.

I received the new axle yesterday, the previous one was just a cylinder, this one is a two piece screwable to adjust, with fixed dust cap. Works fine. Front is stiff laced 2x with 28 DT lightest spokes on Mavic OP.

Still new stuff, but so simple, light and strong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have about 800 miles on my new ELF/ORC combo and Kinlin 270 rims that Jeremy at Alchemy cycle works built for me and I must say they are sweeeeeeet! I'm no lightweight at 150, and I don't find them uncomfortably stiff at all. I have noticed better overall and especially climbing performance compared to my old Bontrager Race Lites(which btw, have had 2 bad bearings and a cracked rim) On a routine 60-70 mile Saturday ride on beat up chip seal, the new wheels have stayed dead on true and the hubs have a great sound....not quite Shimano silent, but quiet. Was going to buy the Hed Ardennes, but after doing alot of research, decided to have Jeremy do this custom build, and I couldn't be happier. He answered all my questions and concerns going into the process, and now 7wks. later I'm still ecstatic about these wheels. If you also like red hubs; you'll love these.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Zen Cyclery said:
The Alchemy hubs are easily the best on the market currently. Great machining tolerances, wide flange spacing, outstanding durability, and to boot they are made right here in the US. They seem to be ideal for bigger guys who have issues with lateral flex on other hubs while climbing. I have sold easily 50+ sets of the ELF/ORC combo and the only complaint that I have gotten back is that they build too stiff of a wheel for smaller riders.
I am riding K Equipe, I am looking at a set of the Alchemy hubs and Kinlin rims I have e-mailed ruff about a build , how does a too stiff a wheel afect a smaller rider I am 165ish now, down from about 178 my goal 140-145

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tnsdoc said:
I have about 800 miles on my new ELF/ORC combo and Kinlin 270 rims that Jeremy at Alchemy cycle works built for me and I must say they are sweeeeeeet! I'm no lightweight at 150, and I don't find them uncomfortably stiff at all. I have noticed better overall and especially climbing performance compared to my old Bontrager Race Lites(which btw, have had 2 bad bearings and a cracked rim) On a routine 60-70 mile Saturday ride on beat up chip seal, the new wheels have stayed dead on true and the hubs have a great sound....not quite Shimano silent, but quiet. Was going to buy the Hed Ardennes, but after doing alot of research, decided to have Jeremy do this custom build, and I couldn't be happier. He answered all my questions and concerns going into the process, and now 7wks. later I'm still ecstatic about these wheels. If you also like red hubs; you'll love these.
That's about the same wheel build that I'm going for. Same rims and hubs. I'm going with CX-Ray spokes. Weight for me is 146 this morning.

Going with the shiny bright silver colored hubs. They'll go better with my bike. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm an uber Clyde (6'5" - 215lbs) and have been riding the red ELF/ORC hubs on the build below from Zen Cyclery for five or so weeks.

Kinlin xr270 24/28
Sapim Cxryas
Alloy nips

I have about 300 miles on these thus far and I'm very impressed with the stiffness and handling. I hit a deep pothole that was hidden between bright light and shad on a tree lined street at 23 mph about two weeks ago. Came off the seat and lost both water bottles, but the wheels are still perfect.

These are rock solid even for someone my size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.