Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Cyclingnews Aricle

There was a time when he was unbeatable, not so much any more. Always classy.

JSR

I must admit when I read the article my first thought was, "I wonder what investigation is going to be released soon with his name in it?"

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
I must admit when I read the article my first thought was, "I wonder what investigation is going to be released soon with his name in it?"
Unfortunetly, that was my first thought as well.
Once you've been tarnished, it never goes away it seems.

Pity, AleJet had some great victories...but now there will always be question marks attached to them.

·
your text here
13,195 Posts
was sad to read that. almost as surprised as i was to see him on the cobbles. didnt he finish a stage with a broken kneecap once?

and isnt he the one with the hot sister?

i think we all jump to, "uh-oh. what was he using," conclusions for everything now. heck, if Tiger up and retired from golf i would think they popped him. but i guess thats not that far fetched, is it.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
was sad to read that. almost as surprised as i was to see him on the cobbles. didnt he finish a stage with a broken kneecap once?

and isnt he the one with the hot sister?

i think we all jump to, "uh-oh. what was he using," conclusions for everything now. heck, if Tiger up and retired from golf i would think they popped him. but i guess thats not that far fetched, is it.

Didn't Petacchi earn that skepticism?

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... or maybe he was just kidding.

Cyclingnews now reports that Ale-Jet could continue riding in the "right circumstance."

"It seems Petacchi no longer wanted the pressure of being a team's nominated sprinter who is expected and paid to win sprints. However, he is interested in a different role.

"I remember that even a great rider like Erik Zabel led me out in the sprints when we were at Milram. I could consider doing something like that but not just for anyone. The conditions would have to be right," Petacchi explained to Gazzetta dello Sport. "

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Cyclingnews now reports that Ale-Jet could continue riding in the "right circumstance."

"It seems Petacchi no longer wanted the pressure of being a team's nominated sprinter who is expected and paid to win sprints. However, he is interested in a different role.

"I remember that even a great rider like Erik Zabel led me out in the sprints when we were at Milram. I could consider doing something like that but not just for anyone. The conditions would have to be right," Petacchi explained to Gazzetta dello Sport. "
My crystal ball says that Ale Jet will be doing the Quick-Step soon...

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
If he want's to be a lead out man, why doesn't he just ride for Roberto Ferrari?
His cut of the winnings will be higher with Cavendish, and he knows he will be praised as the best leadout man in the Protour. If you can't beat him, be his leadout man.

·
warrrrrrrgh!!!
4,354 Posts
His cut of the winnings will be higher with Cavendish, and he knows he will be praised as the best leadout man in the Protour. If you can't beat him, be his leadout man.
Ferrari has talent, it would be much much cooler to end his career grooming him as the next top sprinter instead of kissing Cavendish's butt.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Only the moribund UCI would stand in the way of my crystal ball! :D
Well there's always this rule:

2.15.121 Only a rider with no contractual links to a team may be recruited outside the applicable transfer period.

IOW, if Pettachi's contract were to be torn up, he would be free to negotiate with other teams. It's hard to say which party may be gumming up the works. Is Lampre trying to eek out some value for a "retired" rider? Is Pettachi afraid a new contract wouldn't pay as much as whatever he still gets from Lampre? Who knows?

JSR

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I got Pettachi's autograph at InterOp many years ago, before his palmares was firmly established. And since there was no one waiting in line, I asked the 'handler' if a second autographed poster was possible. When they started to move me on quickly, Pettachi asked a question (in Italian). I don't know what he said, but I got the second autograph, and he asked me a couple of questions through his interpretor. He seemed to have a gentle manner and patience that day. I'm glad he had a good cycling career.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.