Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a sweet deal on a brand new Aliante carbon/Ti railed saddle on ebay, and then I looked up a site (world cycling productions) That is selling the Aliante Carbon and says that there's a "Ti version available for riders over 180 lbs." This, of course, is the first time I've read this anywhere (Fizik's site included), and I already won the auction!

Any 180+-lb riders have an Aliante Carbon? I'm 195... Am I really running the risk of getting shattered carbon rails in my bum if I ride this saddle? Thanks for the info!

DrPete

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Aliante Ti or Aliante Carbon?

drpete said:
I just got a sweet deal on a brand new Aliante carbon/Ti railed saddle on ebay, and then I looked up a site (world cycling productions) That is selling the Aliante Carbon and says that there's a "Ti version available for riders over 180 lbs." This, of course, is the first time I've read this anywhere (Fizik's site included), and I already won the auction!

Any 180+-lb riders have an Aliante Carbon? I'm 195... Am I really running the risk of getting shattered carbon rails in my bum if I ride this saddle? Thanks for the info!

DrPete
If you indeed bought the Aliante carbon with Ti rails you will be fine. The recommendation of 180 lbs applies to the Aliante Carbon that uses the carbon rails.

Just to warn you, the Aliante is a very sensitive saddle to set up. The hammock effect of the saddle keeps you positioned pretty securely in one spot and if it is the "wrong" spot it can be uncomfortable. I use the Aliante Ti on a couple of bikes and I prefer it to be set with the nose significantly UP. This flattens out the rear of the saddle and puts me back on my sitbones. If I go front/rear level I find the back of the saddle tips me forward and puts pressure on both my wrists and forearms, as well as my perineum. It is a great saddle, just take time to figure out your optimal setup. Using a 2-bolt post like a Thomson or FSA will help greatly as you can easily make tilt adjustments while out riding.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is there really a weight limit on the Aliante carbon railed version? There is nothing on Fizik's site saying this and several high end bike shops told me they have never heard of such a limit.

Another shop told me that the carbon rails will break sooner or later; however most regular riders will get at least a year's use before it goes. Another shop sales person said he's had his for a lot of miles and all is well and he weighs 190lbs.

I have a fairly new one with the carbon inserts (just cosmetic) and find it's one heck of a comfortable saddle. Hope it lasts more than a year (100 miles av. per week) though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
no problem

drpete said:

DrPete
I'm 225 and have the Aliante with carbon rails. Have 3 seasons/7500 miles on it with no problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts