Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I gain much by moving up to the Toupe from the Alias?

I picked up an Alias from my LBS this past Saturday. I really wanted the Toupe but they didn't have my size (143). Beyond looks, I liked the extra flex compared to the Alias and the smoother finish instead of the two pads on the Alias.

I took the Alias out for a quick 20 miler on Saturday eve and 53 miles on Sunday. It seemed fine. I had a little pain in the sit bones on the long ride but I guess thats natural. The LBS offered to swap it when they get more Toupes. With this in mind, is it worth the extra $35-40 it would cost me to make the swap or is vanity getting the best of me?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I previously had the Avatar on my Roubaix and that seems closer to the Alias at least in form than the Toupe does, I now have the Toupe and the difference between it and the Avatar is like night and day. I like the lack of padding on the Toupe as I found that the Avatar's padding would annoy me more than anything and interfere with my riding.

However saddle choice is a very personal thing so if it works for me it doesn't mean it will work for you, a lot of people don't like the minimalist saddles like the Toupe but I find them quite comfortable and can easily ride a century with the Toupe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got a Toupe 143; I love it, it's way more comfortable than my older 2002 Body Geometry saddle (the flex really helps).

Assuming both saddles are equally comfortable to you (and the Toupe may actually be more comfortable!), I'd say you stand to gain two things: 1) about 100-grams in weight savings; and 2) the bling bling / sexiness factor. For the extra $45 or so bucks, how is that not a bargain for the weight savings alone? :D (If you're reading this forum and interested in it enough to post your quandry here, I'm guessing you'll never be satisfied until that saddle's on your bike. That's not an accusation, more of a reflection of my understanding of our mutual biking addiction.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
toupe all the way

i recently road the toupe and avitar back to back and walked out of the shop with the toupe. the added flex and minimal padding were so much more comfortable to me than the more rigid chassis on the avitar and bulky padding.

and it certainly does look better and weigh less.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the Toupe

:thumbsup: My LBS got some in and held one back for me (they are selling them as quickly as they get them!). Picked it up yesterday and did a little 5 mile tester last night.

I just finished a three hour ride in the rain this morning and everything is great! Yeah, I felt a little pain in the sit bones from time to time but it is a bicycle not a Lazy Boy. More importantly no pain after the ride. I really like the finish of the Toupe. The padding on the Alias just seemed to be in the way. With the Toupe I can move around the saddle and not feel like I'm in an odd position for the saddle which I couldn't do with the Avatar or Alias.

I'm looking at doing a century+ in the next week or two so I'll let you know how it holds up then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.