Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Specialized Stumy FSR mountain bike and have really enjoyed getting back into riding. However, I really miss the times I used to have on my old Le Mond road bikes a decade or so ago. I have been out of the loop for some time with road bikes and I find most LBS employees dont know there knees from their elbows. Maybe there are some good local bike shops with educated employees near by? I am in Orange County, CA.

Looking for a little direction on what to look for in a good bike these days? Would like to get into some nice for under $1500 or atleast around there. Heck if you know of something nice and fairly light in weight for under $1000 that be great! I have seen some bike specials here and there but dont know enough yet to know if the deals are worth while. For example the 2007 Aggraziato banner flashing above. Or like this deal found on pricepoint.com = http://pricepoint.com/detail/14421-...Prolite-Carbon-Road-Bike-Ultegra-10-Speed.htm. I saw this deal too, decent bike or crapola? http://www.thebicycleoutlet.com/ind...1&category_id=76&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=32.

I would like a bike that can handle any streets or pavement I may want to ride. I am 6 feet tall and about 220lbs. Any guidance here would be awesome!

Thank you,

Jordan

·
Registered
106 Posts
A lot of the answer depends on what you want. You said you want an all-around bike. Does that mean one that can be used for commuting/racing/centuries/touring/etc? If you want a rack and fenders for commuting/touring or bigger tires, that makes a huge difference in what you get.

I ride two bikes that are probably in your price range. I have an Orbea Volata, which was a little under $1200. I wouldn't call it a great bargain. I just fell in love with it (paint job and feel) and paid more than for an equivalent Trek, Felt, Giant, or whatever. It has a fairly low end Campy groupset. It's a great bike for climbing, centuries, and maybe entry level crit racing (I don't race). It's a horrible commuting/touring bike. No good way to mount a rack or fenders. Aluminum frame. Double crankset. No tires over 25mm.

I just finished building a Surly Crosscheck. It's not as light or as nimble as the Orbea at 3 pounds heavier and about 3 or 4 inches longer. If I could only have one bike, it would probably be this one. I built mine with a Campy Veloce groupset, triple crankset, and Open Pro/Record wheels. Cost about $1250 to build. If you want a versatile road bike, this is it. It can be setup with 23mm tires and used for a fast ride. It can be setup with a rack, panniers, fenders, 32mm tires and used for touring. You can even put cross tires on it and ride off-road. I smile every time I think about this bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response sorry I wasnt really clear. I want something that is good for riding in general I guess (i dont know the cycle term) around the city, maybe some long trips, maybe take it out to moab, just a general good bike i can ride after work around my city or wherever. I will checkout the Orbea, havent heard of it. So far most people I have talked to keep talking about the Giant OCR1 bike. Im going to try and hit some stores and test ride some bikes too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It sounds like you just want to do some recreational riding. Riding for fun and fitness. Okay. You probably don't need to worry about fenders as you probably won't ride in the rain (at least on purpose). If you don't need a rack (not carrying anything), then you don't have to worry about having eyelets to mount these things. I'm still wondering what you mean by long trips. Does that mean a multi-day tour or like a 50 mile ride?

If you are just getting into road riding (again), get a bike with a triple crankset. That will give you a wider range of gearing for hills. At least get one with a compact double crank, which has lower gearing. The double vs. compact double vs. triple is sort of a religious argument. The OCR1 has a triple. The OCR1 is also a little more relaxed geometry, so it should be comfortable enough. I'm not sure how good it would be for "long trips."

The Orbea is probably a decent choice too. Mine has a compact double crank. Orbea is a Spanish company. They just started making a big push into the US market recently. They are popping up everywhere. They are very pretty bikes and ride well. Trek 1200 or 1500 is probably about right too.

Don't dismiss the Surly either. It might be a couple pounds heavier, but it's nice. The shear versatility is hard to match. Pretty much any bike shop can get one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool thanks for the help. I realized that I probably should have places this thead in the beginners section, oh well. Yeah I meant like riding 50 miles, like you said fitness and fun. I dont plan on competing just want something I can jump on after work and get some miles on that isnt a tank either. When i was riding alot in the past I would usually go about 40 miles after work every day just roaming basically. I live in rancho santa margarita right now and we have alot of hills around here so definitely want a good bike for climbing as well as just tooling around. I still love riding trails with the mtbike but I often have to ride alone and dont always want to have to drive to a trailhead and trek off.

Going to keep doing some research, there are two bike shops around me that have road bikes i will be checking out this weekend. Maybe even rent a bike for a day and put some miles on it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Cyclocross

I think a cyclocross bike that you need, any cyclocross bike (Surly:thumbsup: sounds great). You could put 23 mm tires and use it as a road bike(fast) or get touring, cross tires(700 by 30-38 mm) for touring or off roading. You could not take OCR off road but Surly you could.
("off road" I mean park trails and dirt roads.)

I started riding several years ago with a hybrid bike and was able to ride on road and off road; the more miles I was putting on the bike I reilized I like road riding much better and now I have 3 road bikes(one of them is a cyclocross bike). If you get one with eyelets for racks and fenders you could even turn it in a commuter or long distance touring bike.

·
Banned
476 Posts
cyclocross is good idea

you can get a nice cyclocross bike online or on ebay - new for under $800
and if you shop the advertisers on this site you can get a super light road bike for under $1200

there are a whole list of 105 and ultegra bikes that would be fun for you at around $1000
and these bikes can be easily found

·
Registered
460 Posts
*Maybe there are some good local bike shops with educated employees near by? I am in Orange County, CA*

I used to live in Mission Viejo and biked around your neighborhood. There is a Rock N Road Cyclery at Santa Margarita Pkwy shopping center in Mission Viejo which deals in Specialized, Trek and Litespeeds.

No affiliaton with Rock N Road but they are my LBS here in Laguna Niguel and my experience with them is great.

You can also check Ladera Cyclery at the southern part of Mission Viejo, fairly new but have high end road bikes, I don't have experience with them. They have Scotts and Cannondales among others.

Another bike shop at Crown Valley Pkwy is Cycle Werks carrying Lemonds and Treks.

The former Supergo is now Performance Bike Shop at Alicia Pkwy off the 5 Freeway. They have Fujis, Schwinns and Felts.

These shops are only a few minutes drive from Rancho Sta. Margarita. Of course we all know that LBS prices are higher than what you can get on the 'net but then going with LBS means service and warranty is there - when you need them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.