Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got on the LeMond website and noticed that they offer a lifetime frame warranty. Do all manufacturers offer lifetime frame warranties? If not, who does offer lifetime warranties on the frames?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
lawrence said:
I got on the LeMond website and noticed that they offer a lifetime frame warranty. Do all manufacturers offer lifetime frame warranties? If not, who does offer lifetime warranties on the frames?
I know that some makers offer lifetime warranties, but I'd be surprised if they all did. I really don't know which ones do/don't.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The big ones I can think of: Trek, Klein, Litespeed, Merlin, Kestrel, Orbea. Klein is owned by Trek. Litespeed and Merlin are owned by American Bicycle Group.

A few manufacturers don't have an across the board lifetime warranty. Litespeed's aluminum frames have a 3-year warranty, for example.

Some companies like Kestrel have a "no-fault" (crash replacement) policy where they will sell you a heavily discounted replacement if the frame damage isn't covered by warranty.

There are some big names that have surprisingly short warranties, like Colnago with a 4-year and LOOK with a 5-year.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Giant also has a lieftime warranty, at least on the composite frames.

skepticman said:
The big ones I can think of: Trek, Klein, Litespeed, Merlin, Kestrel, Orbea. Klein is owned by Trek. Litespeed and Merlin are owned by American Bicycle Group.

A few manufacturers don't have an across the board lifetime warranty. Litespeed's aluminum frames have a 3-year warranty, for example.

Some companies like Kestrel have a "no-fault" (crash replacement) policy where they will sell you a heavily discounted replacement if the frame damage isn't covered by warranty.

There are some big names that have surprisingly short warranties, like Colnago with a 4-year and LOOK with a 5-year.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Orbea ?? Big Name?

What makes Orbea a big name

Correct me if I am wrong; but they sell mant fewer bikes than Bianchi, Motobecane, Fuji, Raleigh, and Felt -- why do you not include those in your list? They all seem to have lifetime warranties

·
Registered
485 Posts
collectorvelo said:

Correct me if I am wrong; but they sell mant fewer bikes than Bianchi, Motobecane, Fuji, Raleigh, and Felt -- why do you not include those in your list? They all seem to have lifetime warranties
By "big names" I was referring to companies who have a network of dealers rather than the small, custom, garage-type operations who sell direct.

I'd like to point out that Orbea does have their own forum on this site, so they are certainly no longer a small, obscure name. And I see no Motobecane, Fuji, Raleigh, or Felt forums here, which says something about the popularity of those brands with the people on this site.

I either don't have any dealers near me or I am not very familiar with the brands you listed, so I did not list them, hence the "I can think of" disclaimer in my post.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
collectorvelo said:

What makes Orbea a big name is the 200,000 bikes a year they sell worldwide. They are Spain's largest producer and second in France They sell a broad range of products from kiddie bikes to racers. They are also one of the oldest MFGRs on the continent. The fact that they have just in the last 2 or 3 years begun to penetrate the North American market does not make them small.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Usa

sorry
I thought you were talking about big names in the USA
not in Spain or France or India
I heard there is a brand in India called Atlas that sells several million bikes
I wonder what their frame warranty is

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Neither Raleigh, Bianchi, Felt nor Motobecane are US MFGRs yet you cited them as examples of "big" in relation to Orbea. Which way do you want to have it, US only when your facts don't add up or Worldwide when it's convenient for supporting your point?

Re: your India example - "reductio ad absurdum" - go look it up.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not big, but Seven has a lifetime warranty as well

I also know the Trek warranty is a great one. The fine print on all of these is that you need to be the original owner, but still gave me comfort as I kept expecting my OCLV to someday crack at one of the joints. Not rational, I know, but as hard as I rode that bike I just couldn't believe it stayed together.

I am just glad the Seven has a lifetime warranty given how much I paid for the custom frameset.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bianchi actually only offers a three year warranty. Raleigh's is five years. I am not sure about Fuji, but I'm fairly certain it isn't lifetime. Scott is also not lifetime, but I'm not sure exactly how long it is.

I read somewhere that Specialized was going to a five-year warranty. But I can't recall where I heard it, so I could also be making it up.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
The warrantees allow for interpretation between manufacturing defect and wear and tear. Time since purchase may influence this decision.

If the aluminum shell becomes unbonded from the carbon fiber bottom bracket is that a manufacturing defect or wear issue? Will the manufacturer offer to repair it for a fee?

Where you have to ship a frame for warrantee repair, expected return time, and crash replacement policies are other issues to consider.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Be careful......

lawrence said:
a lifetime warranty can be different manufacturer to manufacturer, and can be interpreted differently over time.

Most Lifetime warranties are for "Manufacturing defects". As such, they can be interpreted differently. In addition, all of them have all kinds of disclaimers. Some have racing disclaimers, etc.

At the end of the day, you are relying on the manufacturer to be fair, no matter what the warranty says.

Len

1 - 16 of 16 Posts