Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First road bike, bought in April, have put 920 miles on it. I have had gel liners since i bought the bike, and have been using Performance Ultra bib shorts since summer began. I have two pairs of the bibs that I rotate. I have felt great until about 5 rides ago when my butt and other areas have been getting sore are 15-25 miles in on my rides. I have ridden a century this year and didn't start getting sore until about 80 miles or so. I haven't been riding as regularly a I have since I started back to school. Could any of these be why:

Shorts are crap or worn out?

Since I am not riding as regularly I have to get used to it again?

I carry my bike up the steps holding it from under the front of the saddle...could I have slowly titled it up..because it doesn't look like it?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
o0adam0o said:
I would have to go with:

"Since I am not riding as regularly I have to get used to it again?"
Me too. Check the saddle but not likely the problem. Lots of people like those bibs and wouldn't if they didn't last a season.

If you take some time off, it's hard to catch back up to be good for long rides again - don't I know...

·
turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
I went on vacation for a month, no chance to ride while there.. kept busy doing other things though... first week back was tough on the butt, in fact it's still not back to being as tough as it was before the month off.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Those shorts are my faves. Lots of people diss Performance, but despite their relatively low price those shorts, IME/IMO are terrific.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Dcmkx2000 said:
I carry my bike up the steps holding it from under the front of the saddle...could I have slowly titled it up..because it doesn't look like it?
Virtually impossible. I don't know how much your bike weighs but it's a safe bet that YOU weigh more. If the saddle was loose enough to tilt under the bike's weight, it'd be moving around all over the place during your rides.

I've been riding for 18 years and am currently having my biggest year ever, by a large margin -- currently at a bit over 4600 miles, with a projected total of maybe 6500. And my butt is sore. The same two saddle models I've ridden without issue for years are suddenly intolerable on about one out of three rides. I've been auditioning various other models with varying degrees of success. My riding buddy points out that I'm doing more miles than ever so it's logical to think there must be some price to be paid. The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. So I too think that for you, the "I have to get used to it" answer is correct.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
I've been riding for 18 years and am currently having my biggest year ever, by a large margin -- currently at a bit over 4600 miles, with a projected total of maybe 6500. And my butt is sore. The same two saddle models I've ridden without issue for years are suddenly intolerable on about one out of three rides. I've been auditioning various other models with varying degrees of success. My riding buddy points out that I'm doing more miles than ever so it's logical to think there must be some price to be paid. The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. So I too think that for you, the "I have to get used to it" answer is correct.
I agree with Allez that sometimes changes in your body can cause a saddle to fit poorly. To be more explicit, if you've gained or lost a bunch of weight you can find that a saddle that used to fit just doesn't anymore.

It could also be the decreased riding frequency.

The last thing to look out for is that your saddle could be broken or sacked out. It happens sometimes that the plastic shell breaks, cracks or otherwise gets really flexy. Because of the cover and padding it looks normal when you're not on it, but when you sit it sags under you and causes discomfort. If you press on the middle of the saddle with the heel of your hand and get significant flex, you might need to replace your saddle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts