Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a set of tires for my cross check.
I commute 10 miles each way with this bike 3-4 days a week by way of:
gravel paths
sandy trails
drainage ditches
over curbs and thru construction sites
Oh and a wee bit of pavement

Once a week on the ride home I commute by way of some serious singletrack with rocks and sand galore.

I am new to cyclocross bikes and tires, I just got the used surly complete. It has a 38mm specialized crossroads on the front, which feels heavy and has mediocre grip. On the back is a 32 or 35 speedmax which feels small to me(mtbr) and doesn't get the best standing climbing traction on the trails.

So I think I am looking for a tire that:
has decent grip
rolls well
relatively light weight

Right now I am leaning towards the IRC Mythos 38 or 40, but have no experience with any cx tires except the ones that came on the bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've used IRC Mythos 38mm and had very good luck with them, they are actualy 38mm wide. My new favorite is the Maxxis Wormdrive 42 mm, which is only very slightly wider than the IRC. It's about 39-40 mm wide, that's at the outside of the tread, the casing is 35-36 mm on both tires. The Maxxis seem (maybe) a little faster on the pavement. You mentioned rocks, both of these tires stand up well to them. I've torn sidewalls on lighter tires on our rocky CO trails. I think you'd be quite happy with either of these tires for the riding you describe. The IRC can be had cheap on ebay sometimes.

·
Registered
475 Posts
ritchey trail mix

Kaimana said:
I am looking for a set of tires for my cross check.
I commute 10 miles each way with this bike 3-4 days a week by way of:
gravel paths
sandy trails
drainage ditches
over curbs and thru construction sites
Oh and a wee bit of pavement

Once a week on the ride home I commute by way of some serious singletrack with rocks and sand galore.

I am new to cyclocross bikes and tires, I just got the used surly complete. It has a 38mm specialized crossroads on the front, which feels heavy and has mediocre grip. On the back is a 32 or 35 speedmax which feels small to me(mtbr) and doesn't get the best standing climbing traction on the trails.
I run the ritchey trail mix tire, cheap$13-15 steel bead, but they roll really well on the road and off the road, fairly tough, I use a 35c which is slightly small, but not too bad, I have also seen them in a 38or 40c, quite a bit taller profile, but would fit the cross check fine. I have also used the mythos cx in the 42c size, very big, have to put the wheel in deflated on a cross check to get past the brakes, fairly heavy and a little too big for road ridding. I suggest the trail mix in the 35c size, looks small but is big enough and rolls really fast on the road, I bought mine through excel sports a couple years ago but have seen them in rei in the seattle area, the 38c size should work also and give a little more cush.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, lots of options thrown out here. Thanks guys. I would like to hold some of them in hand, since pictures are somewhat decieving as to tread characteristics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How big, really?

mondo said:
Ritchey Z.E.D. Pro 700x42c
Hey Mondo, can you tell me how big these actualy are? I know Ritcheys tend to run small. Also have you ever run the IRC CX Slick or Maxxis Wormdrive? If so how do they compare? From looking at the tread I'd think the Ritchey would be slower through the smooth stuff but with better traction?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts