Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm asking for recommendations on what frame/fork to I should consider for my next project. My current stable of bikes includes a Ti Dean roadbike, a steel Soma cyclocross bike, an alloy Trek mountain bike. I intend to use this new bike as a general 'all-rounder' that is suitable for commuting, light touring, dirt and gravel road riding and can be set up as a geared or single-speed bike. The general attributes that I am looking for in the bike are:
- Steel (or Ti preferable for indestructability)
- A 'Sport touring' or Audax or Cross geometry
- Drop bar/road bar
- Semi horizontal dropouts (for single speed set up)
- Derailler tab and clamp on front derailler compatibility (for reared set up)
- Fender and rack fittings
- 130 mm rear hub spacing
- 1-1/8" headtube
The last attribute that I am debating on is whether I want to try disc brakes or go with cantis studs and mini-v brakes. I want to be able to run moderately wide tires 28mm with fenders. I've never tried disc brakes before and I think it would be interesting, but I don't like the weight penalty and I like the set-it and forget it of a simple v-brake.

I have looked at a couple of interesting bikes like the Pake C'mute and All-City Space Horse, but wanted to ask if you had other suggestions.
Thanks!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I am very attracted to the All-City Space Horse, but I just got back from NAHBS and saw some beautiful bikes just like you described. I am actually having Kelson bikes build me something very similar, but it will be primarily a cross/gravel race bike.

The exact bike you describe fitted with disc brakes could be found in just about every booth. DeSalvo, Ellis and Strong each had beautiful examples.

I recommend cantis if you have an extensive wheel collection that you tend to swap around (my issue.) If you are going to build one wheelset and leave it on the bike disc brakes seem to be the way of the future, but with 135mm hubs. If you really want 130mm just stick with rim brakes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for these suggestions folks! I'll look at each of these. As tihsepa inferred, my price point is on the low-end for a steep bike, while I also recognize that if I want another Ti frame that will require a whole lot more money. But my acute case of bike upgrade-itis has not been treated for several years, so I could be convinced to go to a higher level.
Thanks again for the advice.

·
9,790 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes - I actually did look at the Warbird in particulally since it has both Ti and steel versions, but the lack of rack bosses is kind of a bummer. Do you have the Warbird? If so how do you like it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good point -and well taken. The Double cross is quite heavy for CX and while I do race only occasionally it may be a better 'investment' to get a higher end CX bike and "demote" the loyal Double Cross into a more pedestrian role.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.