Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whos the team leader now?
Lance wasn't going to win the Giro anyway....
Lance didn't stand a snowballs chance at the Tour.....
Lance couldn't even stay with the lead pack at San Remo.....

This is just my opinion, but looking at the past, I cannot believe that so many people here that seem to have some racing knowledge and have seen all the past "Lance" races have fallen for his "slight of hand" so to speak. Lance has ALWAYS played mind games and what people though....was never actual. He's done this time and time again! This year - my take is Lance NEVER had any intention to do well at the Giro - training for the Tour. San Remo was a training ride....once toward the end, he had nothing to prove. He was able to stay with the leaders with no problems...so back off and let the sprinters fight it out and he would be safe. Play it off like is is just not in race shape yet. Come-on, even the sprinters were able to stay in the lead group!

Unfortunate crash at the Castilla y Leon....but as I said (or so I think), Lance was going to use the Giro for training anyway. Stay with the lead groups, fade back to cast doubt, show some weakness...let Levi and Contador show they are stronger than Lance. Do well enough - maybe top 15...cast doubt! Into the Tour and everyone thinks Condador and Levi are the real threats.......Lance sit's backs and waits. Waits for the one stage or that single instance when Contador is in trouble and that his day! 8x

WHY???

How much publicity will Lance get if he wins the Giro vs if he would win the Tour again 8x?? Winning the Tour would have 10x the amount of publicity...which would help his cause or stroke his ego a bit more. Winning the Giro - some publicity, but not much. Lose the Giro (who really cared anyway) and Win the Tour? Publicity Lottery! No one outside of the cycling community has even heard of the Giro.

Save this thread for future reference :D

Michael

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I've always said San Remo was a race he went because of the LiveStrong event or some cancer thing that was there because of him.

He was out front all the way and pulled a fair bit too. He got caught out back, and since that happened, why fight to go out front again anyway when he knew he wasn't going to be able to sprint, nor was he able to lead anyone else out? So he just stayed there. Perhaps.

Vuelta Castilla Y Leon - well, he was out front all the way as Levi said but he somehow went a little backwards and then BAM! Why he went behind? No idea but it was just bad luck with the crash for sure.

Giro - no way in heck he was gunning for it. He wants a top 10-15 slot, yes. But that's it. It's to test his legs in the steep hills and see how he fares etc.

The Tour is his main cycling goal indeed.

The Giro is for training and also for cancer publicity. The Dauphine is a real race, like it always has been for him too.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
no way lance was ever going to win any grand tour this year

even injury free

anyone who thinks otherwise is in for a large dose of 'reality check' in the coming months

personally i cant wait to see him get dropped

*awaits 'but its for curing cancer' posts*

·
Registered
451 Posts
Kman...

what is your point. why wouldn't Lance plan a tdf appearance like that. anyway he did say from the start he was after an 8th tour. sure he seemed to have changed his tune there for a while, no wander with all the media speculation about the tension building between him and AC.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
uzziefly said:
I've always said San Remo was a race he went because of the LiveStrong event or some cancer thing that was there because of him.

He was out front all the way and pulled a fair bit too. He got caught out back, and since that happened, why fight to go out front again anyway when he knew he wasn't going to be able to sprint, nor was he able to lead anyone else out? So he just stayed there. Perhaps.

Vuelta Castilla Y Leon - well, he was out front all the way as Levi said but he somehow went a little backwards and then BAM! Why he went behind? No idea but it was just bad luck with the crash for sure.

Giro - no way in heck he was gunning for it. He wants a top 10-15 slot, yes. But that's it. It's to test his legs in the steep hills and see how he fares etc.

The Tour is his main cycling goal indeed.

The Giro is for training and also for cancer publicity. The Dauphine is a real race, like it always has been for him too.
Wait, this is about cancer? Where's all this publicity you are talking about? Am I the only one to miss out on all the important stuff?

·
Road & Trail Warrior
1,858 Posts
alexb618 said:

even injury free

anyone who thinks otherwise is in for a large dose of 'reality check' in the coming months

CBCF
Maybe a "Curing Broken Clavicles Foundation".:cool:

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
jlandry said:
CBCF
Maybe a "Curing Broken Clavicles Foundation".:cool:
I like the "curing cancer, helping cancer survivors and hot sexy time with Hollywood starlets" Foundation pre-comeback better. That's something I can get behind. :cool:

·
Registered
280 Posts
alexb618 said:

even injury free

Have always admired his past personal and athletic accomplishments, but...said the same from day 1 he announced his comeback and his 'cancer awareness' motives. Was promptly chastized and insulted by the disciples of the Lance Armstrong is God that partake in these forums.

·
Registered
174 Posts
to OP... I think you are giving him way more credit than he is due, and making him sound relevant more than he really is.... oooh, maybe Lance is playing mind games, lets keep an eye on him... hmm, maybe we should keep an eye on guys who can win big races, it'll be more fun (for me at least)

I think he is overweight, old and doesn't have what it takes in the new (post OP) age of cycling...

I agree he is good at mind games, and will do everything to keep himself in the spotlight, and use his special relationship with Johan Bruyneel to keep himself in the shot for the yellow jersey, but in my opinion, this is making him even more pathetic.

I even imagine him hiring a few people whose sole job is to update his twitter page and defend his image and keep him relevant on the internet. Of course (in my convoluted image of his life) he is doing this because he doesn't have many real friends, and due to all the bad karma he's accrued over the past decade he's personal life is miserable and he's just trying to chase the glory of the past days now.

Unfortunately for me, there's no filter to take out Lance out of all the discussions in this forum.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
iamnotfilip said:
Unfortunately for me, there's no filter to take out Lance out of all the discussions in this forum.

You could try not opening and posting to threads with "Lance" in the title. Its no "filter" but I imagine it would be a good start. . . .

:p

·
Registered
174 Posts
Coolhand said:
You could try not opening and posting to threads with "Lance" in the title. Its no "filter" but I imagine it would be a good start. . . .

:p
:) Definitely... but much like a drug addict who says he wants to stop, I'm addicted, and want to know what's inside...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts