Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
uzziefly said:
You 'need' a pair of these:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/z...DUCT.ID=3619&CATEGORY.ID=1&MODE=SPECIALS&TFC=

Pricey indeed but they're 'supposed to work.'
Got a set for Girlygirl for Xmas and she really likes them. They're not as tall as I'd hoped.

I'm looking at the Lake ones for myself, but decided I'd wait until next winter season before buying--I've got nice shoe covers that mostly get the job done, and with a chemical hand warmer in the toe of each, it's good enough.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bikeboy389 said:
Got a set for Girlygirl for Xmas and she really likes them. They're not as tall as I'd hoped.

I'm looking at the Lake ones for myself, but decided I'd wait until next winter season before buying--I've got nice shoe covers that mostly get the job done, and with a chemical hand warmer in the toe of each, it's good enough.
Cool.

I'm just glad I only need shoe covers to prevent my shoes from getting all dirty in the rain.

·
Bamboozled by love...
417 Posts
Looked at Lake

bikeboy389 said:

...but I couldn't find 'em in my size anywhere. My feet are my real weak spot in the cold, and regular Sidis with fleece covers and chemical warmers just weren't cutting it for any rides over 1.5 hours and under 40 degrees or so. The Specialized shoes aren't terribly tall, but when I'm out in 35F, I'm wearing tights anyway, so no big deal for me.

It's just nice now to not to have to head home early because my feet are chunks of ice...

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
mleptuck said:
...but I couldn't find 'em in my size anywhere. My feet are my real weak spot in the cold, and regular Sidis with fleece covers and chemical warmers just weren't cutting it for any rides over 1.5 hours and under 40 degrees or so. The Specialized shoes aren't terribly tall, but when I'm out in 35F, I'm wearing tights anyway, so no big deal for me.

It's just nice now to not to have to head home early because my feet are chunks of ice...
I saw those too. The Spez shoes fit my feet, but the stupid BG internal wedging makes my knees asplode. Lakes fit pretty similar, but are flat. I like mine a lot.

·
off the back
15,583 Posts
I've heard the Northwaves are better than the Sidis, and much less expensive. I've got a pair of the older version, and they're ok, but I'm a cold weather weenie, and my feet still feel somewhat cold. Perhaps other tougher folk won't have that problem.

I may give the Lakes a shot in the future, and see if they're better.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I made it through the worst of the winter, heavy snow and sub-zero temps with wool socks, breadbags and running shoes.

fear my mighty hardness. not code.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I have apr of the old NW's. Didn't even use them this past winter. A pr of DeFeet woolie boolies, reg shooz, and windblocker booties worked fine down to 20-25F ish. I just need a pr of more better gloves.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have a pair of the Sidi's. The are very nice and do stay dry. However didn't use them once this winter. My G5s are oversized and I was able to get away with boiled wool socks. Didnt even use my booties.

I just washed the G5s for the first time last week. After they dried the leather was pure white from all the road salt that leached out of them and dried on the surface. I think next year I won't do that again. :)

You can find the Sidi winter shoe for much less. Also if you are getting them, order your regular size, as they come oversized to accomidate a winter sock.

zac

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Whatever happened to riding with a pair of these? When the snow is piled high, it's windy and -15C, these are great. Not very stylish, but warm and dry. As for the Sidis, they cost as much as in the States.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Don't need 'em when you're pounding the pedals on a trainer.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
I just got back from my first ride without booties on with these...

When I took off I thought I was gonna be in trouble because I could fee air coming through the mesh on the top of the toe box. I had on some really nice wool socks though and my feet didn't get cold at all. Last year I bought some Sidi Genius 5's and they killed my feet and I ended up going back to my ten year old Specialized BG's. I've probably put a little over a hundred miles on the NW's and so far I like them a lot. The best part is that I only paid $80 for them as opposed to the $190 I paid for the Sidi's

·
Super Moderator
40,836 Posts
I have a pair, and they sure do work. Spendy, yes, but reasonably warm, and eminently waterproof. Plus, Sidi makes them in size 50. I tried Lakes as well, since they come in wide widths (but not wider than the Sidis) and were very well-made, but I found them to be a little kludgy, and I don't care for BOA closures.

Just don't tell my wife that I spent more on winter cycling shoes than I did on her this Christmas.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Have had a pair of NorthWave (SPD compatible) for several years. They look like a insulated hiking boot. Waterproof, good to 10 degF or so for longer rides. The MTB style made more sense, I like the extra tread on winter rides when conditions may include some snow and ice. Not being hella expensive was good too...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts