Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for my first road bike. I've test drove a few bikes and I came down to the Sequoia or the Allez.

I am male 5'11 24 years old.

Now the reason I like the Sequoia is the extra brakes and its not as stiff. But the Allez seemed more like my style but seems like it could become uncomfortable on the rough roads around here?

Also double or triple? I looked at the Allez elite and I dont really need any of the crazy components or wheels im just going to be riding 3 or 4 days a week and not doing any crazy rides for a while at least. Ok well any help would be great.

Thanks!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
JWMGT90 said:
Looking for my first road bike. I've test drove a few bikes and I came down to the Sequoia or the Allez.

I am male 5'11 24 years old.

Now the reason I like the Sequoia is the extra brakes and its not as stiff. But the Allez seemed more like my style but seems like it could become uncomfortable on the rough roads around here?

Also double or triple? I looked at the Allez elite and I dont really need any of the crazy components or wheels im just going to be riding 3 or 4 days a week and not doing any crazy rides for a while at least. Ok well any help would be great.

Thanks!
Generally speaking, the Allez's geometry is a little more aggressive than the Sequoia. Most notably, the wheelbase and head tube lengths - both of which are longer on the Sequoia. The results of these differences will be that the Sequoia's riding position will be more upright and the ride will feel a little more forgiving.

IMO fit matters most, so whichever bike fits better should be the primary focus, assuming the bike will fit your needs.

Regarding cranksets: I'm not sure which models you rode or are considering, but (depending on model) the Allez comes with a double, a compact double or a triple. If you have a fair number of hills or are new to road riding, the triple has some advantages. Some prefer the compact as a compromise between the double and triple.

I'm not sure what you mean by the reason I like the Sequoia is the extra brakes so clarify if you wish.

·
Registered
270 Posts
By "extra brakes" he means the Sequoia has inline brake levers mounted on the upright handlebar.

·
Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
FreeRojo said:
By "extra brakes" he means the Sequoia has inline brake levers mounted on the upright handlebar.
Yes, that's what I was thinking as well...

My first road bike was an Allez Elite Triple. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love speed. My longest ride on it was 60 miles and my body did not have any regrets. But then again, I took the time to adjust everything after my first few rides so the riding position was natural for me. You can be on a great bike but if it's not fitted to your body, you will never be comfortable on it.

Also, if this is a new endeavor for you. I would highly suggest the triple. Your legs simply will not be strong enough or have the endurance to spin taller gears on longer hills. Trust me on this. In the beginning, you want more options because really, you don't know what you're capable of. It's better to be safe than sorry. Just go with the triple.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.