Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For almost 2 years now, I've been riding the Zipp 60s wheels. I liked them overall despite the fact that the hubs, in my personal opinion were very average.

Lately, I had an issue with my freewheel and Zipp changed my 60s for a pair of 404 firecrest, because apparently, the 60s are now discontinued.

Anyhow, the main reason why I chose the 60s in the first place, was because I felt right at home with an alloy breaking surface in wet and dry conditions. I've had a few wheels in the past with a carbon braking surface and I found that they scream when braking and are worthless in wet conditions. Also, if I want to a big climb in Europe, I don't want to have any problems with heat dissipation or worse, I don't want the wheel to delaminate.

Do you guys have any advice when it comes to stopping power in the wet using a full carbon wheel? Should I sell my 404 firecrest to get something like a Dura Ace C50 set? Should I buy something like a pair of ksyrium wheel for climbing/wet conditions and keep the 404s for the flat?

Keep in mind that I am looking for a top of the range wheel; I found that most of the carbon wheels with an alloy braking surface are usually entry level. Other than C50s, do you guys know of any 50-60 mm deep wheel that competes with them?

Thanks for your advice!

A confused cyclist.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Both Zipp and Enve new wheels have improved brake tracks that perform (claimed anyway) as good as alloy dry, and some say better wet. You probably still need to be smart on long steep descents, alternating front to back to allow cooling if you are trying to keep the speed way down. Textured tracks on the Enve's do make an airplane like noise stopping, but not loud and certainly not what I would call annoying, interesting perhaps. I can't speak to the Zipps and noise, don't own them.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Perhaps for climbing, something like the Dura Ace C24 would be better. The 303, C50 etc are designed for fast, flat routes

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Do you guys have any advice when it comes to stopping power in the wet using a full carbon wheel? Should I sell my 404 firecrest to get something like a Dura Ace C50 set? Should I buy something like a pair of ksyrium wheel for climbing/wet conditions and keep the 404s for the flat?

Keep in mind that I am looking for a top of the range wheel; I found that most of the carbon wheels with an alloy braking surface are usually entry level. Other than C50s, do you guys know of any 50-60 mm deep wheel that competes with them?
You have to brake way early. You have to brake early enough where you allow the pads to sort of dry out the brake track before biting. What I mean is that when you pull the lever, nothing happens really, the brake track is wet and needs to be cleared. So you hold the lever and keep applying pressure and at some point it'll catch. Once the brake track is cleared off mostly and the pads start to heat it'll catch and work pretty normally. But as soon as you let off for a bit you have to do this all over.

Your choice really on whether or not to keep the Zipp wheels. You'll just have to try it out for yourself to see. I found braking in the wet on Enve wheels to be straight up dangerous and not worth my time. I have some Knight wheels that do much better. The pads and the texture of the carbon braking surface do a lot to help/change things. Zipps are known for having good braking for carbon wheels and also good heat tolerance so you have a pretty good carbon rim, but it's still carbon.

There are quite a few deep clinchers that can compete with the C50 that have metal brake tracks. Mavic comes to mind but I'm not a fan of the company or their parts. Swissside Hadron comes to mind. FLO comes to mind. The C50 is quite solid though. The new C40 and C60 will be available soon as well.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I found braking in the wet on Enve wheels to be straight up dangerous and not worth my time.
Was this the new style rims or last year?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I rode in the rain today. Right at the end of the ride we go over a big bridge, 17th street causeway, a tall, 2200 ft long bridge. I was toward the back of the group as we reached the peak, but there was only 1 rider ahead of me as we railed down, me dragging the rear brake to hold about 26-27 mph in the rain, while all the carbon wheeled bikes rode the brakes all the way down. I have aluminum brakes on the Shimano C50 wheels. Even as the light at the base turned red I had no issues stopping. Everyone else had no issues either but they were also moving slower

·
Wandering
195 Posts
Anyone have experience with the new Boyd wheels & their 'textured' brake track?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts