Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· hold my beer n watch this
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved word that I'm going to be sent to a training course near the Teterboro airport. Is it worth trying to bring my bike out?

Any suggestions or shops or clubs to hook up with to ride?

Flyn G

· Registered
39 Posts
hop on route 46 west and head to cycle craft in parsippany. they have a sunday ride out in the great swamp every week. Teterboro and the surrounding area i wouldn't dare ride a bike think angry fast driving pissed off workers flitting about in suvs,highways,urban sprawl rough roads, yeck....
some good strip joints though!

· Registered
144 Posts
Northern NJ rides

Check out Cyclesport in Park Ridge (northern NJ), they have group rides of various levels on Saturday and Sunday mornings. They are 20 minutes north of Teterboro (on a Saturday morning with no traffic).

Teterboro area? I wouldn't recommend it, heavy industrial area.....but you could make your way over to Rt 9W by the George Washington Bridge, and head north. A couple of miles north of the GWB and it becomes a pretty good ride.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Teterboro is very urban with lots of highways and residential areas. Not very good riding. 9W is a fair choice. You have to get in your car and travel to the nicer areas. LBS will be able to guide you. You may be able to take a train to the nicer areas and then when you get off the train, just start pedaling. Newark NJ is the main train station and from there you can get trains anywhere. There's a train that goes through Chatham NJ or any town west of there and you can get off there and have some great riding. There's other trains that lead into nice areas of NJ. If you connect to www.PrincetonFreeWheelers.com they have links to all the bike clubs in New Jersey and you can check some of them out.

· Registered
29 Posts
9W / River Road-Henry Hudson Dr along the Hudson

Also check out NYCC www.nycc.org; many of their rides cross over the George Washington Bridge or meet at the underpass where the bike lane lets out from the bridge (to 9W or River Road/Henry Hudson Drive through Palisades State Park). This seems to be a popular meeting area for other bike rides as well.

From Teterboro, it's possible to wend up through Hackensack and over the Hackensack River on the bridge that turns into DeGraw Avenue. (DeGraw Ave has several steep climbs though).

Stay on the same street (Degraw Ave) through Bogota, Teaneck, Leonia, & Fort Lee, NJ. In Fort Lee, at the top of the last hill you'll see a bunch of shops on each side of the street, which changes its name to Main St. You eventually get to a place where there are trees ahead of you. Here, the road is one way for a very short stretch (20-100 ft) and, if you were to continue on the same road, it would head to the right & down a steep hill. If, instead of going downhill, you head left (at the left turn lane) to the street where the oncoming car traffic is directed (Hudson Terrace), you'll get to the GWB bike lane & the underpass. If you go downhill instead, in the middle of this long downhill, just before a slight curve in the road, there is the entrance to the Palisades State Park on your left.

The above is the most direct way, but there are other more complicated ways to get to the GWB bike lane entrance/exit on Hudson Terrace, some slightly less steep & less trafficked. (Going north a bit and wending your way over to Jones Rd, and taking Jones Rd south back to to Main St in Ft. Lee, can break up the climbing & traffic, but there are lots of turns, including one or two turns to stay on Jones Rd, and it's easier to get lost.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.