Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was out training yesterday and had to stop for some construction while a gravel truck dumped its load. A few minutes later the truck comes rumbling up behind me slowly on a wide section of road. Plenty of room.

Then I heard something sort of going thump thump through the noise if the engine. Then a couple of big rocks just flew past me a few feet away. They were almost one foot cubes of rock launched off the wheels and going, say, 45 mph past me! I mean, that's like 100 pounds of rock. They made a nice thud when they hit the ground on the shoulder.

Crazy. I wonder what my heart rate was.

Just thought I'd share. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

· Registered
369 Posts
Those guys are supposed to clear those potential projectiles before they get on the public road. Was it a truck that had just entered the road from the construction site? That kind of projectile would be very similar to the insecure load emphasis issue that is hot in the region these days.

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vettekid said:
Those guys are supposed to clear those potential projectiles before they get on the public road. Was it a truck that had just entered the road from the construction site?
Yup. That's what I was thinking. For those of you not in Seattle area, there has been a bunch of effort to get people to properly secure their loads because of some horrible accidents out here.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I was on my homebound commute in South Carolina about 11 years ago and a gravel truck passed me. When it was about 100 yards in front of me, a couple of rocks fell out and I watched a small rock bounce down the road towards me. I watched it hit the road in front of me and fly up under my oakleys and hit my eye. I had the pirate look going for several days after that. I was more amazed then anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.