Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Loves to Suffer
Joined
·
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buzzing along at about 25 mph on a slight downhill, SUV comes screaming around me, turning right onto a side street just as they get by me. I KNEW that the idiot was going to do it by the fact that they were racing to the turn. Grabbing front and rear brakes I missed the back of their vehicle by about 6 inches, while screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs. I couldn't get a hand free from the brakes fast enough to hurl a water bottle or other projectile at the vehicle.

So be cafeful out there, please. And if you hear an engine racing at max rpm's, and a turn is coming up, get ready to grab some brakes.
 

·
More Miles...
Joined
·
289 Posts
Nice save . If you're anything like me, you were seeing red for quite a while after that, and would have loved nothing more than to choke the life out of that worthless idiot with your bare hands . But, maybe not . Still, nice save .
 

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Yeah, I don't understand the racing thing... I mean, seriously... you have to slow down to take the turn any ways. Just let the cyclist pass!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
"Becareful" would mean that if you know the driver is going to cut you off, you slow down befor it happens. You don't sound much smarter than the driver or you would have protected yourself. It's called defensive riding, don't be a hero.

Yeah, hit the suv with an object, then also you'll wonder why you got shot!
 

·
More Miles...
Joined
·
289 Posts
Hello !

GetReal said:
"Becareful" would mean that if you know the driver is going to cut you off, you slow down befor it happens. You don't sound much smarter than the driver or you would have protected yourself. It's called defensive riding, don't be a hero.

Yeah, hit the suv with an object, then also you'll wonder why you got shot!
Are you an idiotic motorists advocate ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
LMWEL said:
Are you an idiotic motorists advocate ?

No, but I'm not a moronic stupid cyclist advocate either!;) Stupid cyclists get hurt, Defensive riders have a smaller chancet!

I'm takaing it you are as you think nothing of the poster saying he wants to choke the driver comment or th OP saying he wants to throw something at the car? C'mon,grow up, stay alive!;)

I do plenty of riding and if I see a driver getting ready to do something stupid, I protect myself from spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair. If you don't get that from my post, you're not a very smart cyclist either.

With all the cyclist hit thereads lately, it helps to pull your head out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Be careful out there! Around here, drivers are clueless, or just don't give a beep about cyclist. Especially grandmas, I nearly got hit 3 times, twice within inches, thanks to grandma who thought I was part of the road.
 

·
In Blue America
Joined
·
436 Posts
Sounds like the OP did everything right and was riding defensively, as you suggest.
Sometimes there's no time for defensive cycling and planning, just instinct.
 

·
corning my own beef
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
so let's address the REALLY important question here:

How can we all post defensively in order to protect ourselves from ignorant trolls like GetReal??

To the OP: glad you dodged the proverbial bullet.
 

·
Rub it............
Joined
·
3,833 Posts
JustTooBig said:
so let's address the REALLY important question here:

How can we all post defensively in order to protect ourselves from ignorant trolls like GetReal??


The ignore list?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
JustTooBig said:
so let's address the REALLY important question here:

How can we all post defensively in order to protect ourselves from ignorant trolls like GetReal??

To the OP: glad you dodged the proverbial bullet.

Sure, someone who sdecides to post after sitting back and reading all these stupid I'm a tough guy I have my rights posts is a trol when he decides to reply that maybe it's safer to stay out of the way and aovid trouble rather than throw stuff at the car.

Open your eyes, there's another thread where a cyclist got punched by a motorist after the motor swiped the guy. Use your brain! ;)

Call me a troll, whatever! I know people that are totally screwed up from cycling accidents, people that argued with me about cycling safety. I'm a healthy troll and they are stupid crippled has been cyclists, I win!
 

·
More Miles...
Joined
·
289 Posts
(Call me a troll, whatever! I know people that are totally screwed up from cycling accidents, people that argued with me about cycling safety. I'm a healthy troll and they are stupid crippled has been cyclists, I win! )

YOU DIDN'T JUST SAY THAT ! You couldn't possibly be that ignorant or that insensitive .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
LMWEL said:
(Call me a troll, whatever! I know people that are totally screwed up from cycling accidents, people that argued with me about cycling safety. I'm a healthy troll and they are stupid crippled has been cyclists, I win! )

YOU DIDN'T JUST SAY THAT ! You couldn't possibly be that ignorant or that insensitive .


Oh cut out the righteous BS! Cylcists are people, people drive, people are stupid. I have no pity or sympathy for those idiots you try to warn and they are too stupid to listen.

OK, next time a driver cuts you off, throw a waterbottle at his truck. You're taking your life into your own hands. Did I warn you as fellow human being, yes! If you don't take my advice, why should I have pity?

I can't believe you people are so blind! (thanks for the correction!) You are on a bicycle, you hear a truck gun it's engines, you know it is going to race you to the turn, so what? You speed up and make it a point to miss it by 6 inches to scare the driver? Is this what the OP did? Yes, if you say no, you're full of it! There are a ton of threads on this topic. Open your eyes!

I always ride extra careful when I hear an engine at MAX RMPS!!!!

There are some smart cyclists out there smart enough to protect themselves rather than posting some arrogant "I'm a cyclist I have rigths threads/ I should have kicked his arse" thread rather than doing the smart thing and protecting themselves.

When you're in a wheelchair, you'll say, hey that troll was right, I should have protected myself. He has a busted windshiled and I'll never walk again. I tried to open your eyes but you're too blind, I will feel sorry for you, but only cause you were too dense to listen. ;)
 

·
CEO Of The Internet
Joined
·
205 Posts
GetReal said:
Oh cut out the righteous BS! Cylcists are people, people drive, people are stupid. I have no pity or sympathy for those idiots you try to warn and they are too stupid to listen.

OK, next time a driver cuts you off, throw a waterbottle at his truck. You're taking your life into your own hands. Did I warn you as fellow human being, yes! If you don't take my advice, why should I have pity?

I can't believe you people are so bling! You are on a bicycle, you hear a truck gun it;s engines, you know it is going to race you to the turn, so what? You speed up and make it a point to miss it by 6 inches to scare the driver? Is this what the OP did? Yes, if you say no, you're full of it! There are a ton of threads on this topic. Open your eyes!

always ride extra careful when I hear an engine at MAX RMPS!!!!

There are some smart cyclists out there smart enough to protect themselves rather than posting some arrogant "I'm a cyclist I have rigths threads/ I should have kicked his arse" thread rather than doing the smart thing and protecting themselves.

When you're in a wheelchair, you'll say, hey that troll was right, I should have protected myself. He has a busted windshiled and I'll never walk again. I tried to open your eyes but you're too blind, I will feel sorry for you, but only cause you were too dense to listen. ;)

What?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
I believe many motorists have no idea how fast we are going on the side of the road. They assume we are doing 10mph and by speeding up can easily beat us to an intersection and make a right turn. I am continually amazed by the lack or respect or visibility we have as cyclists. But, I am in agreement that flipping a motorist off or throwing a waterbottle at them is only adding fuel to the fire and entering a pissing match you could easily loose. I value my life more than trying to demonstrate I was wronged by a motorist. I believe it has helped me avoid some antagonistic situations that could have turned ugly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Mtn2RoadConvert said:
I believe many motorists have no idea how fast we are going on the side of the road. They assume we are doing 10mph and by speeding up can easily beat us to an intersection and make a right turn. I am continually amazed by the lack or respect or visibility we have as cyclists. But, I am in agreement that flipping a motorist off or throwing a waterbottle at them is only adding fuel to the fire and entering a pissing match you could easily loose. I value my life more than trying to demonstrate I was wronged by a motorist. I believe it has helped me avoid some antagonistic situations that could have turned ugly.

Excellent post! Because most drivers are ignorant to our speed and abilities, the more reason to take extra caution!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Same thing happened to me last Thursday and this was not the first time. Similar conditions, down hill doing close to 40mph. A lady blows by me and at the bottom of the hill moves over to the bike lane to turn right and STOPS!!! It took everything I had to decel and dodge. I also screamed at the lady, and she was a little startled. I was PISSED!!! I understand where you're coming from. There are too many drivers that don't have a clue.

Be safe and be careful; be defensive for yourself and the clueless driver.

As for "Get Real"...relax; and BTW, people are not stupid. I know I am not.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top