Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forums and thought I'd use my first post to tell you that I almost crahsed pretty majorly this weekend.

I was out enjoying the nice warm Colorado weather with my dad. We were coming towards the end of our ride and I thought I'd get out of the saddle and put the hammer down for a little bit. As I'm up cranking away I hear a huge POP!!! and I find myself (my crotch really) riding the cross tube at 25 mph with my feet skidding on the blacktop. Luckily I didn't go down. I came to a gentle stop in some grass near the road.

My dad behind me said that he saw my chain fly about 15 ft in the air and land in the midle of the road. Both he and I were seriously suprised that I didn't fall but I have some bruises on my legs and butt. My heart was beating out of my chest too!!!! Oh well, could have been worse, right?

Anyway, just thought I'd say hey and see if anyone had any good close call stories they'd like to share...

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I almost got struck by a flaming asteroid, but I didn't.

BTW Welcome to RBR.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
That's pretty scarry

COKid said:
... he saw my chain fly about 15 ft in the air and land in the midle of the road. ...
Can you give us a little history on the chain? Was it old? How many miles? Condition?
I really don't want that to happen to me and currently I'm thinking that if I check my chain frequently and replace or oil it when necessary i can avoid that. Just want to see if this was under those conditions or if it was a new chain with low miles (a defect in other words)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
That's pretty scarry

COKid said:
... he saw my chain fly about 15 ft in the air and land in the midle of the road. ...
Can you give us a little history on the chain? Was it old? How many miles? Condition?
I really don't want that to happen to me and currently I'm thinking that if I check my chain frequently and replace or oil it when necessary i can avoid that. Just want to see if this was under those conditions or if it was a new chain with low miles (a defect in other words)

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
The "nearly wrecked" stories are too numerous to count. Personally, I prefer the "ACTUALLY wrecked" stories. Blood, broken bikes, mayhem, road rash, emergency medical care ..... all those things that keep us all going, you know? It's kind of comforting to know that I'm not the only one who can sometimes be found bleeding in the road!

An "almost wrecked" ride is ..... well, it's kind of like any airplane landing that you can walk away from ..... it's not that bad. :)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
What broke?

I lost my right pedal on my bike once, it was a scary pop and then I was on the ground. Happened when I got out of the saddle too. Luckily I was only going 14mph at the time.

Anyways, glad to hear you are ok!

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
jsedlak said:
What broke?

I lost my right pedal on my bike once, it was a scary pop and then I was on the ground. Happened when I got out of the saddle too. Luckily I was only going 14mph at the time.

Anyways, glad to hear you are ok!

is that you, lance?

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Could you please describe the difference between being "majorly" eaten and a minor eating by a mountain lion.

It would seem to me that any "being eaten" by a mountain lion would be a pretty major event. ;)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Dajianshan said:
Could you please describe the difference between being "majorly" eaten and a minor eating by a mountain lion.

It would seem to me that any "being eaten" by a mountain lion would be a pretty major event. ;)
ROTFLMAO!! OMG that's the funniest thing I've read in the past month. I blew some Diet Pepsi through my nose when I read it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
"Anyway, just thought I'd say hey and see if anyone had any good close call stories they'd like to share..."

Too many to list. There are only 3 kinds of riders. Those who have crashed - those who are going to crash - and those who are going to crash again. I'm betting that I'm in the last group.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
chain break

So it's not looking like anyone's going to chimb in here with their thoughts on chain breaking. Maybe I will just toss this out there to all. I had a friend snap his chain and now he's worried about hammering it because he thinks his chain may break again. I have never had a problem like this but am concerned a little because my thinking tells me that a chain in good repair will never break, or lets say the odds are so low as to not even be worth thinking about. This may be hard to do if you ever had a chain break under load but still.
What do others think? I never worry about a chain breaking

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I broke a chain recently, even posted about it here. And I saw a guy break his chain in the race this weekend. Both, modern bikes in good repair. Both broke under the same circumstances - big / big combo, hard pedaling, attempted shift.

As long as you follow the basic rules of
- don't cross-chain
- soft pedal a half-rev when you shift

You shouldn't worry about breaking a chain.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I broke a chain recently, even posted about it here. And I saw a guy break his chain in the race this weekend. Both, modern bikes in good repair. Both broke under the same circumstances - big / big combo, hard pedaling, attempted shift.

As long as you follow the basic rules of
- don't cross-chain
- soft pedal a half-rev when you shift

You shouldn't worry about breaking a chain.
So sounds like cross chaining is a no no. I try to avoid it and if I do cross chain I keep the load down. Usually the only time I do it is when I don't realize the gear I'm in and it's kind of an accident. elWl not a fall-down accident, but something I correct as soon as I realize it. Sort of a mental fall-down I guess.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
I remember when I was about 18 I was about 49 miles from home on an old Schwinn Traveler 10-speed, my first decent road bike, I got cut off in a parking lot by some dolt in an SUV and did a perfect faceplant on a storm drain. 8 stitches and a dental bridge later, now I finally have straight teeth.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I was racing the Dillworth Criterium in Charlotte many years ago. The pack was heading downhill into a narrow funnel curve at the bottom of the loop. Suddenly bikes started going down everywhere, in front of me, on the sides, probably in back. Somehow I managed not to hit anybody and continued the race. As I circled the course and came back to that funnel again, emergency crews were hauling the injured off.

After a number of loops I got lapped and had to drop out. But at least I wasn't hurt. Just the pride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
ROTFLMAO!! OMG that's the funniest thing I've read in the past month. I blew some Diet Pepsi through my nose when I read it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I actually tried to say that not thinking it meant something else. haha rotflmao what does that mean? haha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.