Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new bars, Nitto Randonneur B-135 42cm......installed them and test rode to make sure they are perfect before I tape.....I LOVE THEM...I was concerned because of the Campy ergo shifters...but it is fantastic for me at least...my wrists are perfectly straight....

I have the same on my Langster, but shifters are a non issue there.

Next....the Brooks antique brown tape goes on.......no more black ugliness.....all silver.....

All campy Veloce 9 speed triple, nitto stem, bars and seat post, Brooks saddle and tape...simple and conservative.

oh and my silver dragon headbadge...mustn't forget that....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I like it! Nice job.

Oh Hey!! I just thought of something. I know where you can get a polishing cloth to spiff up some of that silver. :)

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I gotta tell you, when I rode it today, for the first time since I broke my wrist 4 years ago, my left hand shifting was painless....and I shift a LOT.

I actually tried buffing my stem a bit before I stuck it back in, anodization is pretty hard and I really didn't want to buff it off (trust me...I could!)...the headbadge has never been polished...no alloys, it just stays white and bright. I need to get some strapping tape for the cables instead of the electrical...I want them to stay put, tight to the bars since there are no grooves.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I like to use friction tape. It really holds the bar tape in place. IME as long as the bars are tightly taped the cables will stay put.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you mean like old fashion REAL electrical type friction tape?.....never thought of that...isn't it kind of asphalt based?....I wonder if it would stain the Brooks leather tape?
It sure would allow the tape to grip on the bars....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I don't want to wrap them till it's perfect. I am hoping the Brooks lasts 10 times longer than the stuff that is 1/10 the price.... :rolleyes:

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All done....

except the proofide.

I have to preface this picture by saying I hate wrapping bars. I am just not that good at it, and I am anal enough that it has to be perfect... (same number or wraps right and left, same reveal every wrap.........etc)

It came out acceptable even to my critical eye...

I ended up shortening my front brake cable so I would have both sets crossing perfectly in the center.

I would like to present......my Bianchi, finished for the world to see.

Now.....if it would stop raining so I could ride her.....

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gps and mount look terrible BUT at least I had the decency to hang it on an adapter, not on my bars. Thanks......I really do love this bike...still after 5 years....it feels like it was custom made for me.

Nitto, Campy, Bianchi and Brooks......that represents HUNDREDS of years of cycling history!

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
believe it of not I couldn't find friction tape......I ended up using 4 narrow bands of strapping. (which I had to cut, it seems to only be available in 3 inch)

I didn't make it to fleet farm, I know they would have had it Best store in the world....if they only had beer....

That leather is super tough and stretches REALLY tight...it ain't moving....it was just nerve wracking, 70 bucks for tape...what was I thinking.....but she sure looks nice. On Daves advice it is Proofided.....which darkened it substantially. She is NEVER going back out to the garage.......

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FatTireFred said:
ah, one of the knob things
easy boy......I don't think you can say that here.....LOL.....you'll get yer silly a$$ banned.....

oh..that;s not what you meant?....never mind

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Celeste and I went for a ride today....she loved it.....I loved it....only 25 miles but....I need another set of these bars.....they are unbelievably comfortable. I have had them on the Langster for a year and a half but it is amazing the difference with gears....the reach is a LITTLE shorter...NO STIFF NECK.......the weirdo bends in them....my wrist......it doesn't hurt...first time since they pulled the pins out 4 years ago....and the shorter reach makes a difference in handling, more responsive, but not twitchey...I LOVE THIS BIKE......

I can shift effortlessly (and painlessly) from the drops, and stay there forever......

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
one last comment...

I was fooling around and did research on my major components...

Nitto since 1923
Bianchi since 1885
Brooks since 1866
Campagnolo since 1930

That represents 428 YEARS of cycling experience!

wow............

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol...I knew I should have pulled the bag of to take her picture.....
I do have a bigger one, this one I can get a tube, a multi tool, a set of irons, wallet and cell phone in....not much more... was thinking a leather pouch .....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.