Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Stan's Notubes Alpha 400 wheels I'm setting up tubeless. I bought the recommended rims strips for the Alpha wheelset but they are a pain to mount correctly as they slide into the bead socket when mounting the tire. Anyone know of an alternative to the rim strips, or are they even necessary?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
You are talking about CX tires? The Alpha rims are specifically designed for road tubeless; CX tubeless not so much. So I think it's smart to go for some rubber-to-rubber contact at the interface.

I'd use a 26" MTB tube as a rim strip. (You still have to use some sort of rim tape to cover the holes first.) Take the tube, inflate it slightly, mount on the wheel, then cut it open around the perimeter. Then mount the tire; a bit of soapy water will help everything mesh together. Once you've got sealant in there, tire mounted up, etc, then cut off the excess tube with an exacto knife. When you are trimming the excess, it doesn't need to be perfect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.