Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an ebay Alpha Q ts-20 fork, used, great price, appears immaculate - no scratches or hints of cracks.
I brought it to my lbs for installation. They pretty much botched it: 1. installed a compression plug which will not fit. 2. when I returned, glued in the aluminum sleeve which the ebay-er provided, but that pulled out shortly into ride 1 (clearly insufficient glue / setting time)
I got a new installation kit from True Temper and decided to self install.
The above info is anecdotal; setting the stage for my mental state. (Well, while I am at it: true temper failed to send the kit, felt bad, sent it free. All said, it's been a process.)
Finally, the heart of the matter: Before I glued in the insert, I shone a flash light into the steerer tube and noted a shiny helix shaped coating extending from the crown to maybe 4" up the steerer. It is hard to see down there. Shrugged installed the insert. Then, did the dumb thing of weighing the fork+insert = 520 grams.
That's at least 100 grams over weight. True temper lists 360 grams. Postings say another 50 grams for insert / glue/ star nut etc. My scale is accurate.
Now I am afraid this fork has been repaired and that is the helix / extra weight. Is that even possible? Is a shiny helix shape along the inside of the steerer normal in the crown area? Can't tell if it is metallic or just glossy. It really is hard to see down there. Any one else ever looked? The fork feels solid. Less worried about weight than failure. I know this is a bit of an absurd query and one should probably not buy used carbon forks in the first place. In my defense, this was a replacing a broken fork in an economic descent- not an upgrade. I want some assurances that all could be as it should be before I engage in more thrilling descents. ( at least learn from my saga: on Alpha Q forks, use the insert, glue and set properly, probably better to use JB weld than the skimpy epoxy provided. Let the glue set with the fork upside down so it doesn't all just trickle down the steerer.)
Thanks
ConradJacob

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
Many possibilities. Ebay can be an outlet for fakes and 2nds. If you want light then go GS. My GS30 has been in used 2 years and cut to 225mm with the insert glued it weighs 302 grams.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think I would use it...

I can sympathize with your paranoia. I have bought many things from Ebay (both new and used) and only recently I received some shifters that were junk. I decided I was not going to buy shifters, rear derailleurs, wheel-sets or any wearable item used again. I am about as obsessive compulsive as they come. I lost 2 hours or sleep last night wondering about some things that didn’t need the attention.

Based on the visual inspection you described and your apparent eye for detail, I think you would see any repairs on your fork. I would carefully install the fork, inspect it after each ride while gradually getting more aggressive with it (start smooth and go to mild curbs and braking). Pretty soon you will gain confidence in it and be descending on it without a second thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts