Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a new bike for the 08 season and was looking for some feedback from those that have had experience with the new (last year) True Temper fork. I have the older Alpha Q with Pauls, and they work perfectly together with no shudder. Being very satisfied with its performance, and not wanting to temp fate I'm looking to go the same route, but was wondering if there is any difference (besides aesthetics & country of origin) between the new & old models. I still see a few of the older ones,NOS, still around.

Thanks,

· Registered
163 Posts
Hey PaleYum, I have the both the older and newer model running w/ Paul's+ swissstops. The newer model is slightly stiffer under braking ( at least that's all I notice) and about 90g lighter. The annoying bit is that it's also roughly 4mm narrower. Running anything more than 32mm becomes problematic for wheel changes.

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crankles said:
Running anything more than 32mm becomes problematic for wheel changes.
Is that because of the brake pads resting against the fork legs when the saddle wire is unhooked? Or is there an issue with mud clearance between a wide ire and the fork legs?

Thanks a bunch.

· Registered
163 Posts
PaleAleYum said:
Is that because of the brake pads resting against the fork legs when the saddle wire is unhooked? Or is there an issue with mud clearance between a wide ire and the fork legs?
it's the brake pad against the fork leg problem. I think a good deal on an original trumps the 40g (corrected from 90g) weight advantage.

Than being said. I got my cx-20 via a crazy interbike show special and I've seen those being sold on ebay/craigslist for $300.

I've ridden the easton as well. More flexy. but it was set up w/ different brakes. Haven't ridden a reynolds.

I dont' have an answer re: integrated hdsts either.

cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.