1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,345 Posts
Saab born from jets?

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
DVR for the win! I like to record the morning live feed and watch it at night. Pure Phil and Paul, and no filler or "educational" segments. Full HD will be nice too.

:)

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Coolhand said:
DVR for the win! I like to record the morning live feed and watch it at night. Pure Phil and Paul, and no filler or "educational" segments.
This is exactly what I have done for the last whole bunch of years, except last year was the first with a DVR ... VCR before that. I watched the prime-time coverage a couple-few times after discovering there had been a power failure or cable outage that screwed up the live morning show. I never much enjoyed it.

Last year was the first time I watched in HD, too. 'twas purely wonderful.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
jsedlak said:
you look like a man possessed!
That's cause I reached into my suitcase of courage!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,345 Posts
Coolhand said:
That's cause I reached into my suitcase of courage!
He's Suffering!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The morning coverage is actual coverage..I learned this after a few years. I would watch the evening show and they really don't cover enough racing..They do a lot of segment stories. I don't mind the segment stories but I really want to see a lot of the race. But I honestly tend to watch both because I do try and learn something in the interview sessions..

So as others have said DVR the morning coverage. My advice is if you have never taped this before make sure you until 2 pm. The morning coverage let's say it goes from 8-11 always run's over and you will miss the end of the stage. Your better off taping from 8-2pm (8-11ish..then 12-2 is just a shorter version of the stage and actually not bad if you don't have time)

·
Darling of The Lounge
5,336 Posts
I know I'm an old fart but....

Back in the day, TdF coverage was relegated to a 30 minute segment on ABC's Wild World of Sports on a weekend.

I'll take Versus daily coverage with all the "Epic Cycle" hype over that anytime.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Retro Grouch said:
I know I'm an old fart but....

Back in the day, TdF coverage was relegated to a 30 minute segment on ABC's Wild World of Sports on a weekend.

I'll take Versus daily coverage with all the "Epic Cycle" hype over that anytime.
ah the good old days - Sam Posey drawing on his car racing background to explain/mangle the Tour...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,345 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Hey, at least hockey is over. So they can't cut off any stages to show the pregame show.
Correct. Now cycling will be cut off either by bull-fighting or by fishing.

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Retro Grouch said:
... and then during Indurain's reign, we were given a significant upgrade to 30 minutes of late-night coverage per day on ESPN. The first 15 minutes was a recap of what had happened yesterday ... the second 15 covered the current day's stage ... subtract for commercials and the net was *maybe* 10 minutes of fresh, unseen material per day ... and yet we all thought it was wonderful, at the time.

I too have sometimes groused about the repetitive commercials on VS but, yeah, they're a small price to pay for the quality and depth of coverage we're now enjoying as compared to the not-so-good old days.

/Kirsten Gum is currently hosting "What's My Car Worth" on HD Theater.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.