Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Atlantis had served me very well for as long as I have had it, but years of commuting, touring, packing etc. have taken their toll on the paint (the colour of which I never really liked) . So, I decided to get it repainted (sort of a pearl olive green), and while I was at it, got S&S couplings installed. I took it to Chris DeKerf (I have a road bike of his) and got him to do the work. I think it turned out rather well. The only thing left if is to put on some leather handlebar tape, which I will do in the next little while.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a few more shots

I really like the Berthoud panniers. Not only do they look good, but they can hold an amazing amount. You can also see from the photo of the front brake (Paul cantis - great piece of kit) that DeKerf also put on a couple of bosses to hold two different types of Nitto front racks - the mini on which is on it right now and a full on touring type rack. Rivendell sent him the decals and Dekerf was able to save the head badge, which was nice.

Not sure where I am going next, probably a few weekend trips around home.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
about 3 months

MB1 said:
Sweet, how long did it take? How much did it cost? I'm thinking about having that done to our Rivendells.....
when all was said and done. He ordered all the parts (and we forgot a couple - like the cable splitters and the tool to use the couplings - oops) which took a bit of time, then his in-house painter rudely took holidays (the nerve). Two months or less would have been the actual turn around time.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
years!

Reynolds531 said:
Beautiful bike, but what I envy most is the saddle time it must have taken to get the Brooks into that condition.
It took years. I haven't much of an idea about how many kilometers I have sat on that saddle - wild guess: at least 30,000. I have had that saddle from before I got the Atlantis. I try my best to keep it in good condition, but I live in a very rainy place and one can only use so much proofride!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Very pretty!
Is that the cable splitter just below the A?
How long does it take you to fold/unfold the bike?
What kind of dyno-hub is that?
I just put a cheapy nexus on my commuter and love the independence from batteries.
Have fun on your weekends :)

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I'm one of those wierdos who actually like the stock color of Atlantis. I guess it's because my first good road bike was a Celeste green Bianchi.

But I love your bike. You seem to use it exactly what it was designed for. It looks like it could go anywhere, and from your travel reports, it sounds like you do. I guess it's my age or the retro-grouch in me, but I am much more impressed by a bike like yours than all the carbon-fiber, weight-weenie, custom jobbies you see nowadays.

Have you been to the www.cyclofiend.com website? You should post some pictures of your bike there, if you haven't already. Lots of really cool touring, commuting and sport touring bikes that look like they actually do some work rather than count grams.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dynamo hub

qwertzy said:
Very pretty!
Is that the cable splitter just below the A?
How long does it take you to fold/unfold the bike?
What kind of dyno-hub is that?
I just put a cheapy nexus on my commuter and love the independence from batteries.
Have fun on your weekends :)
That is the Shimano hub. I have a schmidt as well, but I am saving that for the Rivendell I have on order. The Shimano works fine, thought perhaps not as efficient as the Schmidt.

That is indeed the cable splitter below the "A". There is one for the brake cable as well. Taking the bike apart and putting it together does take some time. The bike is of a size that the crank has to come off (I have installed a self-extracting bolt). It barely fits in the box.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Celeste" like paint

tarwheel2 said:
I'm one of those wierdos who actually like the stock color of Atlantis. I guess it's because my first good road bike was a Celeste green Bianchi.

But I love your bike. You seem to use it exactly what it was designed for. It looks like it could go anywhere, and from your travel reports, it sounds like you do. I guess it's my age or the retro-grouch in me, but I am much more impressed by a bike like yours than all the carbon-fiber, weight-weenie, custom jobbies you see nowadays.

Have you been to the www.cyclofiend.com website? You should post some pictures of your bike there, if you haven't already. Lots of really cool touring, commuting and sport touring bikes that look like they actually do some work rather than count grams.
I like celeste too - but it belongs on a Bianchi, and the quality of the paint job on the stock Atlantis was not really all that good. Not bad, just not great. I have looked at cyclofiend.com before, but have never posted a pic there. I think I will, especially since my Alantis is rather different.

And...as much as I like my sensible, working, all-weather, multi-purpose bike, I still find myself lusting after a carbon-fibre, weight weenie, custom jobbie - I can't quite figure out just when and where I would use it though, other than on sunny days (which are few and far between around here) on perfect tarmac (also not all that common).

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Well, I've got a "light" bike but it's a porker compared to some of the weight weenie rides. My light bike is a titanium Merckx AX, which is identical in size and geometry to my Merckx Corsa 01, but about 2 lbs lighter. It still weighs about 20 lbs total, however, the way I have it set up (and I include components such as cages, pedals and computer. I love the ride of my ti Merckx and its maintenance-free aspect, but it looks boring compared to my painted bikes. Funny thing is that I don't seem to ride any faster on my ti Merckx and my fastest ride ever was on my "heavy" steel Corsa.

G

·
Very nice.

Chris does good work, always has.

I thought the picture was taken down by RVYC, then I spied the pile of sulphur in the background.

I don't know of a boardwalk like that in around Stanley Park ( 'course I've been gone for a while now) - where did you take the pic??

Crab Park area??

inquiring minds ................

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, crab park

toomanybikes said:
I thought the picture was taken down by RVYC, then I spied the pile of sulphur in the background.

I don't know of a boardwalk like that in around Stanley Park ( 'course I've been gone for a while now) - where did you take the pic??

Crab Park area??

inquiring minds ................
Well spotted. There is a smallish pier that sticks out into Burrard Inlet at Crab park (which now goes by the ponderous "Crab Park at Portside"). If you look at the background (especially the shot from the side of the bike) you can just make out some of the container cranes at Centerm. I live in Gastown and this is just across the Main Street overpass. I think this park has the best views in the City: North Shore mountains, Stanley Park, Lion's Gate Bridge, the industrial port and downtown. I walk the dog down there a lot. My favourite time is just after sunrise, especially when the cruise ships are in the process of docking at Canada Place.

G

·
oarsman said:
Well spotted. There is a smallish pier that sticks out into Burrard Inlet at Crab park (which now goes by the ponderous "Crab Park at Portside"). If you look at the background (especially the shot from the side of the bike) you can just make out some of the container cranes at Centerm. I live in Gastown and this is just across the Main Street overpass. I think this park has the best views in the City: North Shore mountains, Stanley Park, Lion's Gate Bridge, the industrial port and downtown. I walk the dog down there a lot. My favourite time is just after sunrise, especially when the cruise ships are in the process of docking at Canada Place.

Agree.

I used to have a client on Commissioner and spent a LOT of time down there, sunrise to sundown.

Probably the nicest area of the "City" proper, much nicer than down in the West End or those areas.

GAstwon is nice and getting nicer. Haven't been in Vancouver now for 3 months which is really odd for me, looking forward to being down again in September.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.