Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Ten Dollar Jockey
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you use a product like petroleum jelly cream, or anything with petroleum in it will it harm the chamois?

What alternatives are there to the chamois butter?

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Noxzema.
Cheap, easy to apply, comfortable chamois, not greasy, does not block pores, washes out easily and completely in the washing machine.

john

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've started using a chamois cream called Betwixt. Works great, all natural ingredients, and NO parabens

In case you don't know, parabens have been banned in the E.U. as they are potentially carcinogenic. I used Assos until I discovered that the U.S. version has parabens. The first few tubs that I ordered online from overseas were the European formulation and after I bought some at R.E.I. I noticed that parabens are listed on the U.S. labels.

I don't feel like taking chances slathering cancer causing chemicals around my "boys".

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I used to use commercial creams, then I started making my own stuff-- I found the best thing (for me anyway) was a little triple antibiotic ointment and then store brand preparation H OINTMENT (not cream). Directly on me, not the chamois- been working for over a year now.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I use Udderly Smooth....$5 for a tub that lasts a long time. Directly on me on specific contact points where the edges of the chamois hit. Never quite understood the need some feel to lather down the entire chamois in their bibs.

·
Registered
544 Posts
mafpolo said:
If you use a product like petroleum jelly cream, or anything with petroleum in it will it harm the chamois?

What alternatives are there to the chamois butter?
Yes, any petrolium based product WILL (eventually) break down most chamois.

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
991 Posts
jmlapoint said:
Noxzema.
Cheap, easy to apply, comfortable chamois, not greasy, does not block pores, washes out easily and completely in the washing machine.

john
+1 and it feels tingly and cool applied directly to the undercarriage.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
HOOKEM said:
+1 and it feels tingly and cool applied directly to the undercarriage.
+2 on all dat. A while back I ran out of Chamois Butt'r and, lacking a local source, decided to try Noxzema after reading several recommendations for it here on RBR. Cheap, works great, washes out without a trace. The tingly coolness is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Crisco. Cheap and available in large volumes from most major supermarket chains...

Just kidding. Any of the above work fine. Some of my riding friends have suggested vaseline, though I can't speak to that myself.

·
The Cube
1,108 Posts
Agree with Noxema.

i've tried a+d ointment, with and without zinc oxide, vaseline, bag balm, body glide, and a few other things, but never any expensive, cycling specific stuff (like chamois butter, or similar) vaseline worked the best for me, but I absolutely hate the greasy leftover in the cham/short even after washing. Tried Noxema a few weeks ago and see no reason to switch back. It works at least as well for me, if not slightly better, and after a few weeks/washes, my chams are starting to come consistently cleaner and cleaner of the vaseline.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another vote for Noxzema, or whatever generic store equivalent. No need to spend more for anything else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmmm, Noxema huh? I've been using Aquaphor as of late, with pretty good results, may have to give Noxema a try when I run out.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Noxema.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
need evidence

cyclesport45 said:
Yes, any petrolium based product WILL (eventually) break down most chamois.
This gets repeated here a lot. I've used various products with petroleum jelly including Bag Balm for 15 years or so and I have yet to see this mythical chamois destruction. Other than hearing from a friend who had a friend that knew someone that had this happen, has anyone actually had a firsthand observation of a chamois destroyed by petroleum-based creams that they can share?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts