Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started to commute (about 5 miles one way) more and more often to work via bicycle, however, I'm starting to realize that my saddle just isn't cutting it, numbness and soreness are in suing with no visible end.

I've tried a couple of different saddles (wider in the rear, narrow in the read, cut outs, etc). However, I just can seem to get a comfortable ride. I've been looking more and more at alternative saddles like "the seat" and the "moon saddle" (and various others based on the same concepts).

I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there who has really used these things, whether they can really work for anything other than up right riding.

Anyone have any experience with these things?

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Alternative realities

trnsfrmrsr said:
I've been looking more and more at alternative saddles like "the seat" and the "moon saddle" (and various others based on the same concepts). Anyone have any experience with these things?
Saddles like this, and many other variations, have been around for over 100 years. They have never become popular in the slightest. That should tell you something.

There are 4 factors in preventing numbness and pain:

1) saddle adjustment - tilt angle is very important

2) sitting properly - a lot of people ride too far forward on the saddle. Your "sit bones" should be perched on the rear, wide part of the saddle

3) standing up - you should never let John Thomas go numb or get painful. At the first sign of any lack of feeling or pain, pedal standing up for a short distance and repeat as necessary to bring the feeling back and prevent further numbness

4) saddle - there are some people who can ride most any saddle if it is properly adjusted (see #1) and there are some people who have problems with nearly any saddle. It's hard to predict which type you are. Work on 1-3 and if that doesn't help, THEN consider a new saddle.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
Have you been riding for a while, now, or did you just start riding? If you just started riding then your butt needs to build up to riding on a saddle. This takes time. If you have been riding for a while then please try to get the same saddle that you have been riding and are already comfortable with for your commuter.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Since you're new, I'm guessing it's a combination of several things:
- improperly adjusted / fit saddlle and overall on-the-bike position
- maybe including saddle too high (or too low but this is less likely to cause saddle problems)
- as said above, you may be "sitting wrong". Try to keep the contact / pressure points on your sit bones and not the plumbing. Part of this is "where" you sit on the saddle, and part of it is "how" you sit - your hip angle to the saddle.
- Butt / crotch not toughened up yet (even the pro's have to get used to it!)
- What kind of pants are you riding in? I could do 5 miles in just about anything, but it's definitely more comfortable in bike shorts.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Alternative saddles you buy for specific reasons such as eliminating prostrate pressure, not to buy specifically for comfort. You need to find the right saddle for you to be comfortable. I generally like a saddle that has a cut out in the middle. I'm now trying a ISM saddle to relieve prostrate pressure and it's terrific for that but it feels hard as a rock on my butt though it's rather soft to the touch. Not nearly as comfortable as some of my other saddles but that doesn't mean it's a bad saddle. I'm still looking forward to keeping it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.