Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Altitude tents possibly banned!

Well not yet it is but World Anti-Doping Agency is considering a proposal to add altitude tents and breathing masks to its list of banned training methods beginning in 2007. I'd like to see how they'll test or monitor cyclist compared to someone who lives and train in high altitude. If this does in fact goes into affect in 2007, will racer be banned to live in high altitude too?

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
Noël said:
Well not yet it is but World Anti-Doping Agency is considering a proposal to add altitude tents and breathing masks to its list of banned training methods beginning in 2007. I'd like to see how they'll test or monitor cyclist compared to someone who lives and train in high altitude. If this does in fact goes into affect in 2007, will racer be banned to live in high altitude too?

If this is true then the WADA powers that be are smoking way too much crack....asinine

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
dagger said:
Last year during the Giro the officials raided a couple of teams' hotels and confiscated their altitude chambers.
Using one during a race seems counter-productive...need all the recovery you can get....

G

·
I think they should be banned, just so dopers can't point and say "It's the altitude tent". Mancebo said his hcrit went up something like 1.5 points with just one week in an alt. tent - I think not sir!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AJL said:
I think they should be banned, just so dopers can't point and say "It's the altitude tent". Mancebo said his hcrit went up something like 1.5 points with just one week in an alt. tent - I think not sir!!!
Altitude tent training does not show foreign blood in there drug test. EPO does

·
Banned
608 Posts
Noël said:
Huh? You are very confused.

Also, latest research cast serious doubts on performance gains from altitude tents.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
They're not going to ban my pressure chamber, are they? I live at altitude and need a way to train 'low', so I have my trainer in a pressure chamber. I'm going to smoke Jan in the TDF this year. BTW where do I find the TDF ride applications?

G

·
Noël said:
Uh, I think the tests actually detect artifical EPO traces in the blood. Since EPO simply boosts the user's body so it will make more red blood cells, the blood cells are the same as all the rest.

Under ACrookedSky - yes, that's what I've read lately, which makes me doubt Mancebo's recent "discovery" (just as an example, not to pick on him). From what I've read, you need to be at altitude for quite some time b/4 your hcrit rises significantly.

I'm very suspicous at this point. I think that it's possible that EPO has been replaced by some new performance enhancer(s) for the riders/teams that can afford the appropriate "consulting" fees. Maybe something altering mitochondrial efficiency that could require a biopsy to detect. Just making an educated guess.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Where does it end?

You know I suppose I can see that by banning them it gives the riders one less excuse to try and explain certain conditions away, but really - where do we stop? In the blurb in Cyclingnews Pound says, "Our medical authorities agree that the creation of these conditions can be performance enhancing." No kidding. The creating of lots of conditions not involving any type of outside drug or blood manipulation can be performance enhancing. That's the point of training. I would think that going to the extreme of using an altitude tent demonstrates a desire to extract the most from your body without stepping over to the darkside of drugs. So my question is at what point does the WADA stop? And does anybody have the power to go to the WADA and say enough is enough?

Dave

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Under ACrookedSky said:
Huh? You are very confused.

Also, latest research cast serious doubts on performance gains from altitude tents.
I admit I'm not an expert on EPO and feel free to educate me. Now correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that EPO enhances and enrich blood level by blood transfusion. Therefore foreign blood is trace during drug testing. So how would the altitude tents add foreign blood to cyclist blood system? What am I missing?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AJL said:
Uh, I think the tests actually detect artifical EPO traces in the blood. Since EPO simply boosts the user's body so it will make more red blood cells, the blood cells are the same as all the rest.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info and I apologize for challanging you earlier.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Hmm. The rich ones, then, can just build an "altitude house." Someone like Armstrong could construct an entire house, or at least a bedroom, to be oxygen or pressure depleted. Heck, he could live at 9,000 feet and have a helicopter fly him down to sea level for training each day. Could easily do that here in central California.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Noël said:
I admit I'm not an expert on EPO and feel free to educate me. Now correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that EPO enhances and enrich blood level by blood transfusion. Therefore foreign blood is trace during drug testing. So how would the altitude tents add foreign blood to cyclist blood system? What am I missing?
Actually, EPO is the brand name for a synthetic hormone which duplicates the function of Erythropoiten in the body. Erythropoiten stimmulates the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. It is primarily produced by the kidneys. It has nothing to do with transfusing foreign blood. It just causes your body to make more of your own, thus boosting the percent hemoglobin (hematocrit) in your blood stream, allowing your blood to carry more oxygen to the muscles.

The tests test for traces of the artificial hormone in the urine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
johngfoster said:
Actually, EPO is the brand name for a synthetic hormone which duplicates the function of Erythropoiten in the body. Erythropoiten stimmulates the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. It is primarily produced by the kidneys. It has nothing to do with transfusing foreign blood. It just causes your body to make more of your own, thus boosting the percent hemoglobin (hematocrit) in your blood stream, allowing your blood to carry more oxygen to the muscles.

The tests test for traces of the artificial hormone in the urine.
Thanks Doc! Now it's all clear to me.

G

·
I think that there are two indirect methods to test using blood and one indirect method for testing urine for evidence of rhEPO use. I don't know which one(s) UCI/WADA use.

·
Administrator
13,149 Posts
Now with more accurate title goodness.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.