Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall someone saying that if your freehub body is aluminum, the cassette will gouge into it. Can someone explain to me why this is a problem? I was thinking of getting some wheels from Mike Garcia with his speedcific hubs. Is an aluminum freehub a reason to buy some other hub?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
When the gouges become so deep that they raise large burrs and/or the splines are deformed, it can become very difficult or impossible to remove or replace the cassette cogs. You saw this a lot when aluminum bodies first became available. But I think most manufacturers have fixed that problem by beefing up the splines. Still, you'll always gouge up an aluminum body to some degree over time - price you pay for cutting a few grams off the hub weight.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Things you can do...

There are at least two things you can do to minimize the damage of cogs "cutting" into the aluminum freehub body. First, you can make very narrow aluminum shims from a soft drink can and insert a few of them in the gaps between the cogs and the freehub body. Second, you can use a cassette that does not use individual cogs (machined from a single piece of aluminum, for example) or you can use a SRAM cassette (e.g., PG-970) that joins the cogs together so that no individual cog is pressing harder into the freehub body. I am pretty sure I am not being as clear as I could be, so someone help me out here...

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The compatibility chart says 105 will work..

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...ile.tmp/Rear drive road compatibility.pdf.pdf

There are differences. You pay more for less weight and slightly better finish. DA cassettes have two or or three (can't remember how many) titanium cogs which wear out rapidly.

Edit: I'm almost certain (but willing to be corrected) that all Shimano cassettes are a combination of cogs on a carrier and individual cogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.