Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this discussed a couple of times, the aluminum dust that coats your tires from the rollers.

I had the Kreitler Challenger rollers for many years and I guess if I recall correctly, these coated your tire contact patch with the silver dust. But those had poly endcaps and the Kreitler roller belts stayed orange.

Thanks to some warranty service from Kreitler, I now have the full alloy rollers. I still notice the silver alu dust on my tires, but now because the endcaps are also alloy, I notice the orange belts quickly turning silver to almost black. Someone mentioned that the Kreitlers are no longer anodized. I wonder if this is going to impact the life of the belts? It really does make quite a mess and it can't be good to be breathing this stuff either.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
I have seen this discussed a couple of times, the aluminum dust that coats your tires from the rollers.

I had the Kreitler Challenger rollers for many years and I guess if I recall correctly, these coated your tire contact patch with the silver dust. But those had poly endcaps and the Kreitler roller belts stayed orange.

Thanks to some warranty service from Kreitler, I now have the full alloy rollers. I still notice the silver alu dust on my tires, but now because the endcaps are also alloy, I notice the orange belts quickly turning silver to almost black. Someone mentioned that the Kreitlers are no longer anodized. I wonder if this is going to impact the life of the belts? It really does make quite a mess and it can't be good to be breathing this stuff either.
It is possible that some oxide accumulates over the summer, but one ride on the rollers will certainly remove it all. Aluminum oxide is a white powder, not a silvery material. If it is silvery then it is bits of metal or coating flaking off. The black is also not aluminum oxide: could be bits of rubber powder, grease, or just general dirt. I can't imagine how there would be enough aluminum dust (or any other dust) to actually get into your lungs let alone create health issues.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...I can add that the rollers were brand new, fresh out of the shipping box. My Challengers were warranted for cracks in the poly end caps and for an upcharge they were nice enough to replace with the full alloy models.

Because the orange belts were always seated in poly channels (including with the Killer Headwind), they always stayed orange and just showed levels of wear. But now they almost turn to black and the tires definitely pick up more of a silver/grey/black substance than my previous Challengers did.

On the plus side, the new alloy rollers spin much better, great bearings with precisely lathed drums.

I was just mentioning this because someone else had stated that the drums were no longer anodized. As for that, I cannot see the difference other than the extra residue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.