Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Calm like a Bomb..
Joined
·
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been iking on the road now for about 7 months pretty hard, since early summer I have lost about 25+ lbs and now have joined a team and am riding about 4 times a week with some fast groups. So at first I was worried about calorie intake as i wanted to lose weight so i didn't take in many calories. I would still like to lose some more weight to become more competitive but now I am consuming about 300 calories before my long weekend rides and about 600 during the 3 hour fast rides on the weekend.

Lately I have been always feeling hungry, I am eating snacks and drinking water throughout the day but still alway feeling hungry. is this a sign of me not eating enough calories?
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,611 Posts
hard to say. are you eating the right mix of carbs/fats proteins? healthy, fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains? how's your overall energy level? are you losing fat but not muscle mass?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
there is no WAY you are eating enough!!! 300 calories before a long ride? 600 for a 3-hour fast ride?? That's insane.
How many calories you burn depends on how much work you are doing, so the faster your rides are, the more calories you are burning. But (depending on how fast you are going) you are burning 400 calories or more per hour. And when you finish a hard ride, your metabolism is much higher than normal because your body is trying to lower your heart rate, etc, get you back to normal. So you burn extra calories after your ride too.
You need to eat a lot more before your rides so you don't bonk during. And enough food after so you can recover properly.
As the above person mentioned, the right mix of foods is important. Before a race or hard ride, you need to get a lot of carbohydrates. But after the ride, you need protein to help your body repair your muscles.
If you don't eat enough, then you jeopardize your training. period.
 

·
TFI Friday
Joined
·
70 Posts
stunzeed said:
Lately I have been always feeling hungry, I am eating snacks and drinking water throughout the day but still alway feeling hungry. is this a sign of me not eating enough calories?
Could be a sign that you're eating healthy and low fat. For some reason (and I've heard others report this) that after eating a low fat meal I have slight hunger pangs. I learned to embrace it, you get used to it after a while. However if you're feel lethargic, and have other symptons like constant cramping, it could be that you're just not getting enough nutrition.

As someone else said 900Cals for a 3hr ride seems a bit low. Less in than out will help you loose weight, but keep it realistic. You can only loose a few hundred Cal a day and a 3 hour ride should be in the 1500-2000Cal range (+ jacked up metabolism during recovery). Make sure you eat a good recovery meal immediatly post ride, in fact it's a good idea to start eating towards the end of your ride, say during the last 15-30mins when you're starting to ease up and cool down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
i doubt 600 cals holds you off for a 3-hour fast ride. I might eat/drink that during the ride and l like to treat myself to a meal when I get home.
 

·
The Cube
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
mondayC said:
i doubt 600 cals holds you off for a 3-hour fast ride. I might eat/drink that during the ride and l like to treat myself to a meal when I get home.
Bicycling: 12-13.9 mph, leisure, moderate effort 2181.8 Bicycling: 14-15.9 mph, leisure racing, fast, vigorous 2727.2
Bicycling: 16-19 mph, very fast, not drafting 3272.7 Bicycling: > 20 mph, racing, not drafting 4363.6

http://www.neversaydiet.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm


these are just 3 calorie calculators that state a 200 lb person cycling at 14-16 mph would burn about 2800 calories in 3 hours. and it sounds like you're going more intensely than that. so feel free to chow down more during the ride and you may be less hungry afterwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,638 Posts
WAY off

kmunny19 said:
Bicycling: 12-13.9 mph, leisure, moderate effort 2181.8 Bicycling: 14-15.9 mph, leisure racing, fast, vigorous 2727.2
Bicycling: 16-19 mph, very fast, not drafting 3272.7 Bicycling: > 20 mph, racing, not drafting 4363.6

http://www.neversaydiet.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm


these are just 3 calorie calculators that state a 200 lb person cycling at 14-16 mph would burn about 2800 calories in 3 hours. and it sounds like you're going more intensely than that. so feel free to chow down more during the ride and you may be less hungry afterwards.
Those calculators are HUGELY off. 14-16 mph is definitely less than 500 calories per hour. 20 mph on the flats is 600-650 calories per hour. Your sites suggest double that. The only way you'd be burning those kinds of numbers is when riding a beach cruiser with flat tires.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top