Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any luck finding the American Classic 420 rim for sale, not the complete wheel? The website states they do not sell the rim only. I may be building a wheelset to a Powertap, which I can get very cheaply elsewhere, and would rather pick my own front hub and build them myself.

These would be for racing/training. I almost wanted to go with carbon clinchers, and even considered tubulars, but being a training wheelset as well, and not wanting the extra weight, and slightly higher cost of carbon clinchers, I decided to look for a rim that was semi aero but not a tank either.

I think the new 420s are actually over 500g for the rim, but I'll be running lightweight tires and tubes for racing. The bike is already 15.5 lbs with older Ksryium Elite wheels so I wont be gaining much weight, possibly dropping weight.

The other reason I want to go with these is the new ones come in white! Call it lame, but I'm swapping framesets pretty soon, to a white Tarmac SL.

G

·
I don't know of any normal channels to do so, in the past people have bought the wheels then rebuilt them. Maybe look at Velocity rims, I think you could get some comparable in white from them, especially if that weight is correct.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
AC 420s are 34mm deep and Niobium 30s are 30mm. I have an AC420 front with a Niobium 30/Powertap (just built for me by Ron Ruff) on the rear on one of my bikes and you really have to look close to tell the difference in depth. I've always understood that the AC420 rims were only available in complete wheelsets through AC.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, ill check out those other 30mm rims listed. I was just going for the deepest aluminum clincher that wasnt a tank. I can spare 4mm I guess.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
u can get them from distributors around the world - then ship em in to the US...

but they are pretty expensive... nio30 is a better bet in the US...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the set you want to build or pretty close to it. Powertap with 420's American classic ceramic front hub. Been kickn around getting rid of it. Kinda overkill for an old cat 4, "I may show up for the Wednesday crit" but probably not guy. The info is cool i have to say, but like I said, little much for the has been I am. Great condition, nevr wet, maybe thousand miles on them. Look and roll new. Just sayn !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts