Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a grinding type noise coming from the front hub while under load. It spins forever with no weight on it though. They're 350's.

I'd rather not have to ship them off to Am Classic if it's something someone local can do. Anyone know a place in NYC that can do it or am I better off shipping it back to Am Classic?

Thanks

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
wolfereeno said:
I've got a grinding type noise coming from the front hub while under load. It spins forever with no weight on it though. They're 350's.

I'd rather not have to ship them off to Am Classic if it's something someone local can do. Anyone know a place in NYC that can do it or am I better off shipping it back to Am Classic?

Thanks

They are very easy to replace and the bearings are easy to find.
http://www.amclassic.com/tech/pdf/Micro58-BC.pdf
If you have any trouble with the job or parts, let me know. I'm in Bayshore on LI if that helps.

-Eric

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I took this wheel to two shops in NYC who both balked at looking at them. So I followed that pdf you posted and took them apart myself.

There was a bit of grit outside of the bearings that I cleaned off. I also put a bit of Pedro's lube on the bearings. I might purchase a new set of bearings anyway. But it was so easy to take these apart.

One thing I noticed is that the skewer sits pretty tightly in these hubs. Tighter than other wheels I've had I think. (Salsa QR's). Could that be part of the rubbing noise?

I'll take them for a test ride tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, I just realized you're the guy I contacted via email about Phil Wood track wheels!

I'll get back to you about your questions as soon as I get the frame back from the shop. They're putting on the cranks and headset for me. I'll put the rest together myself.

My plan is to build it up with the wheels from my Bianchi and make sure I like the fit before investing in new wheels. But I measured it pretty carefully so I think it will be fine. It is an amazing frame... After I've taken it around the block I'll get back to you about new wheels..

Thanks again
-Bill W

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
wolfereeno said:
There was a bit of grit outside of the bearings that I cleaned off. I also put a bit of Pedro's lube on the bearings. I might purchase a new set of bearings anyway. But it was so easy to take these apart.

One thing I noticed is that the skewer sits pretty tightly in these hubs. Tighter than other wheels I've had I think. (Salsa QR's). Could that be part of the rubbing noise?
Did you remove the outer seal from the bearings? Use a razor knife to pry up the outer edge of the seal, being careful not to bend the seal too much. Then you can clean and regrease the bearings. Just pop the seal back on when you are done. If that doesn't do the trick, then new bearings are in order.

Nothing should be rotating on the skewer, so that couldn't be the cause.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.