Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the benefits of being unemployed, I get to play Mr. Mom to my 2 year old daughter. Its fun sometimes, and actually kind of cool since I didn't get to spend this sort of time with my son when he was this age due to my work. There is a thrift store that is pretty close to our house that supports a local charity for kids. We go there for books, etc.

We went today, and I had found several cool things. A few books, a Snow White movie, and most notably a disney princess cup that was priced at .49. My daughter was quite fond of the cup and wanted to hold it. Fine.

I got to the checkout and put my items on the counter. After prying the cup from my daughter's hand, the cashier looked at me and said she cannot sell me the cup because my daughter had wiped off the price as it was written in black grease pencil. I asked if I could go back and get some cups like it and you could get the price off of them. She said sure. So I went back and got cups that were priced at .49, .69, and .99. I got back to the counter and said... here are some cups that are very similar so you can get the price and code off of them. Tell you what, just price it at the .99 because she really wants the cup.

She said no, she could not sell me the princess cup. She could sell me the .99 cup. I was taken aback. I said... are you serious? Im willing to pay 2x the price of a plastic cup that you guys got for FREE from a donation, and you cannot sell me the cup?

She said no sir, I am not allowed to sell you the cup. I said fine and took my $20 of items off the counter and put them back on the shelves and left with my daughter who was already freaking out crying because they took her cup and threw it into a box.

I bet between my wife and I, we have spent about $1500 there in the past two or three years(weve bought some items for her workplace) and am pretty sure I'm not going back.

Im not as if I'm so irrational that Im going to picket the place, but its the principle of the matter. Im just astonished to think they were willing to draw the line over a mere .49 cents. So... fine. I will not be back. There are plenty of other thrift stores.

Did I overreact? I didn't curse or freak out or throw anything.... at most I rolled my eyes.

Discuss.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
people are dumb. HTH.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Was the person checking out the items the usual person that works there? Were he/she the owners/manager?

I think it's fine to put the items back and not buy anything, but to never shop there again...i think that's a little far to go unless it was the owner or somehing.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Yes, you are an a$$wipe. But, just as there is "justifiable homicide" there is justifiable a$$wipedness. And, you had plenty of justification for what you did -- and more.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Employee wanted the cup for herself...I would have asked for a manager at that point.

//you overreacted, but I probably would have done the same.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Call 911..

Then talk to the manager.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I can't believe you made your little girl cry over a stupid plastic cup.

You are the meanest daddy ever.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Couldn't sell it to you? What the f*ck did the idiot think it was in the store for? That person is impossibly stupid.

I don't know that I wouldn't go back though. I think I'd go back when that person is there, and demand to speak to her superior about the issue.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Dang. You should've stayed longer, patiently and repeatedly explaining to your loudly wailing and hopefully temper-tantrumming daughter that you couldn't buy the cup because the lady at the cash register wouldn't let you, no matter how much you offered to pay.

I figure 8 long minutes of loud crying with no other customers in the store, maybe 3-6 if someone else is there, depending on the frequency and strength of the tantrum.

Then buy your daughter an ice cream. Don't explain why, because I only say that because I really want some ice cream and it has nothing to do with your situation.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
You should have just left your unpurchased items on the counter and walked out. Let the idjut clerk put them back.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Clerk

I mean, a thrift store clerk can't be much if any more than minimum wage, can it?

She may just be following policy and not be paid to think. One way or the other I'd have done the same as you, except maybe try to track down the manager, depending upon whether it was worth it...

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Your karma is intact. Bruised, at worst.

Don't get all on the 'never going back' thing. Your complaint is with the terminally stupid cashier, not with the store or it's goals. Give it a month. She obviously doesn't approach this job with a heck of a lot of concern or care, and one way or another, that likely means she won't be there long.

Next inning, a 'could you call your manager over? My daughter really wants it, and I'm sure we can find a solution' should serve the function. But that's just a getting what you want thing, having nothing to do with your wipe-hood.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
so many wonderful sentiments all over the spectrum in response already... don't see what I can possibly contribute! :)

I feel your frustration and it sounds like you behaved well. Actually, those are the kinds of maddening scenarios where I can devolve into *****yland and then regret later, so a balanced high-road position is far better.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Over-reaction IMO.

- Volunteer clerk....check.
- Weird policy....check
- Storm out of the store without asking to speak to someone in charge....check.

As others have said....ask for someone in charge.

IMO...YMMV

Len

PS...I would have been just as frustrated and am making my comments from the calm place of my desk....what I would have done is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would have laughed politely and asked for a manager. Poor girl was just doing was she was told. Anyone higher up would have gladly sold you the cup and everyone would be happy. Check out girl would be better informed how to handle an unusual case. I stay unusually calm in these situations. Helps to smile a lot too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts