Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gunnar Sport (custom geometry) to accomodate my long legs, short torso. I am older (59) recreational rider but probably ride about 2500 miles a year and hope to complete Ramrod a 154 mile, 10,000 ft climbing one day event around Mt Rainier

I had my wheels rebuilt last year using Aerohead OC rims (32 spoke) with Centaur hubs (vintage 2005). Last weekend I was lured into a test ride of Cervelo RS last weekend that certainly felt like it had alot more zip than my Gunnar. While the Cervelo didnt fit as well as my Gunnar, it did pose a question about whether it might make sense to upgrade my wheels.

However Aerohead/Centaur wheels aren't bad wheels. So the question to all of you wheel experts, do I get any bang for my buck by upgrading? and to what?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Pat Mc

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well - what are you expecting your new wheels to do for you? I assume climbing, but if the wheels you have work fine and are not broken, keep 'em and save your money. Train harder/smarter so you can go faster.

I wouldn't bother but if you have the money and want to spend it, go for it!

Riv

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rivren5 said:
Well - what are you expecting your new wheels to do for you? I assume climbing, but if the wheels you have work fine and are not broken, keep 'em and save your money. Train harder/smarter so you can go faster.

I wouldn't bother but if you have the money and want to spend it, go for it!

Riv
Well certainly any climbing advantage would be welcomed as we ride alot of hills, but overall I would appreciate the bike feeling a bit sportier ie accelerate faster and feel lighter in handling.

Pat Mc

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
pjmsj21 said:
Well certainly any climbing advantage would be welcomed as we ride alot of hills, but overall I would appreciate the bike feeling a bit sportier ie accelerate faster and feel lighter in handling.
What tires where on the Cervelo and what tires are on your bike now?

I have Aerohead rims and they are quite sporty with GP4000 700x23 and cushy and still pretty quick with 700x25 of the same.

Most of your "feeling" of speed and handling is from the tires, not the wheels.

Also recently read about a bike shop trick of overinflating the tires because it makes the bike "feel" faster. Seems reasonable. If your blazing down the autobahn in a Mercedes at 200kpm you could feel like you're not even moving and sipping champagne in the back seat. But suppose your in a Jeep blast down some busted up country road at 30mph and getting your teeth bounced out, well that "feels" much faster doesn't it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
android said:
What tires where on the Cervelo and what tires are on your bike now?

I have Aerohead rims and they are quite sporty with GP4000 700x23 and cushy and still pretty quick with 700x25 of the same.

Most of your "feeling" of speed and handling is from the tires, not the wheels.

Also recently read about a bike shop trick of overinflating the tires because it makes the bike "feel" faster. Seems reasonable. If your blazing down the autobahn in a Mercedes at 200kpm you could feel like you're not even moving and sipping champagne in the back seat. But suppose your in a Jeep blast down some busted up country road at 30mph and getting your teeth bounced out, well that "feels" much faster doesn't it?

You raise a good point. I am not sure of the tires but likely 23c versus the 28c that I currently have on the bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the comment about tires is particularly valid and will try moving to a 25....now any suggestions on a supple riding 25c tire?

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
A supple 24c would be the Vittoria Evo Pave 24, if you can get past the green, but they now come in all black too. You might have to order them, most shops carry the older green ones. That is also tough tire.

For a more fragile tire, you can order Vittoria EVO CX in 25c as well.

Then get a light latex tube and you should be all set.

While the Vitt's are great, supple tires, they are a bit on the fragile side. They might be a tire you would want to save for special events, like your 154mile/10,000' ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts