Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I was hoping my first post on the new boards wouldn't have to be about Paypal scams, but I'm having a bit of a problem as an Ebay seller.

I sold 2 items to the same guy. He pays Paypal Instant Payment for the $200 item, presumably to build my trust. He then uses an "eCheck" Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)from his checking account via Paypal for the $1,000 item. He wants the stuff shipped combined and ASAP.

The problem is I get the notice that eChecks/EFTs via Paypal take over 4 days to clear. Paypal recommends not shipping until the funds have cleared. But can payments still be reversed even after the funds have cleared in the event this guy has a clever scam going on at his bank?

As a seller, when the Payment status is "Completed," is it really safe to go ahead and ship the item, or can it be reversed and the funds be taken away? Any stories of sellers shipping the item because the payment was listed as "Completed" only to later have it reversed?

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Make the guy wait 4 days. Let him know why. Sellers expect to have cleared funds prior to shipment. "Completed" payments mean the buyer has sent the funds, but does not mean they've cleared the bank. Once it has cleared the bank, I don't think it can be reversed. Check with Paypal on that.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
In most transactions, Paypal can reverse the transaction even after the check clears. Check the Paypal site to find out what ALL the restrictions are for them to void their right to reverse the transaction. One condition I know for sure is that you must be shipping to the Paypal confirmed address for the Paypal account being used.

If you have any reason to be suspicious, be careful.

Bryan

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bsdc said:
Make the guy wait 4 days. Let him know why. Sellers expect to have cleared funds prior to shipment. "Completed" payments mean the buyer has sent the funds, but does not mean they've cleared the bank. Once it has cleared the bank, I don't think it can be reversed. Check with Paypal on that.
Thanks, BS.

Actually, the pending eCheck status is "Uncleared" for the next 4 days until it clears.

Once it clears, the status will be "Completed," just like all the other instant payments I have received.

My next question was whether "completed" payments could actually be reversed, kind of like that international forged bank check scam, where it they would overpay with an authentic looking forged check and ask you to deposit the check, where it would clear, and then send the item and a refund. Weeks later, the check would come back cuz it was forged, and you were out the item and the amount you refunded.

Any possibility of something similar happening on Paypal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fez said:
Thanks, BS.

Actually, the pending eCheck status is "Uncleared" for the next 4 days until it clears.

Once it clears, the status will be "Completed," just like all the other instant payments I have received.

My next question was whether "completed" payments could actually be reversed, kind of like that international forged bank check scam, where it they would overpay with an authentic looking forged check and ask you to deposit the check, where it would clear, and then send the item and a refund. Weeks later, the check would come back cuz it was forged, and you were out the item and the amount you refunded.

Well, I've tried to get a payment reversed on an item that was busted when it was packaged (4ft item, 3 ft box) and PayPal would do nothing for me since they have no control over the quality of the item.

To protect yourself, only ship to a confirmed address and I strongly advise some sort of delivery confirmation depending on your shipper. Claiming non-delivery is the about the only way PayPal will reverse a payment and with some sort of DC you're covered then.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
That's a question for Paypal.

Fez said:
Thanks, BS.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Off-the-subject.......

Dude (B2), I love your avatar, best one yet!

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
The short answer is YES Paypal can reverse "completed" transactions. I've had it happen.

Bryan

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
B2 said:
The short answer is YES Paypal can reverse "completed" transactions. I've had it happen.

Bryan

What were the circumstances?

Was it a dissatisfied buyer or was it a guy whose #1 intent was to scam you?

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Fez,

Yes the guy's intent was to scam me from the start. I unknowingly received payment from a "hijacked" paypal account. The transaction was completed. I then transferred the money to my checking account from Paypal and received confirmation that the dollars had gone through. I then shipped the product only to get an email from Paypal a couple days later saying they believed the transaction to be fraudulent. I ended up without dollars or product. If I had shipped to the confirmed Paypal address (in the U.S.), Paypal would have honered the transaction taken the hit themselves. There may have been some other criteria the transaction had to meet as well. I can't remember.

Good Luck,
Bryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts