Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a 63cm Trek 2300 from ebay. I currently have a Giant OCR3 and have been riding for 2 years. I typically ride 2-3 times per week about 30 miles each. I am just a recreational rider. I am 6'4" 240 lbs and horrible flexibility. I have a 35 inch inseam. I have never ridden a Trek before so am I crazy? Right now it is at $760 ends in a couple of hours. It appears to be like new with low miles. Suggestions?

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
82 Posts
bigslowpoke said:
I'm thinking about buying a 63cm Trek 2300 from ebay. I currently have a Giant OCR3 and have been riding for 2 years. I typically ride 2-3 times per week about 30 miles each. I am just a recreational rider. I am 6'4" 240 lbs and horrible flexibility. I have a 35 inch inseam. I have never ridden a Trek before so am I crazy? Right now it is at $760 ends in a couple of hours. It appears to be like new with low miles. Suggestions?
It's hard to say whether it's a good deal for you. Personally, unless I know whether the bike will fit me properly, I won't buy on Ebay. Since you mentioned that flexibility was an issue, developing a relationship with a good LBS, if one is available, would probably be a good idea. They should be able to fit you properly, and might have a good deal on '05 stock they need to move.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part of the problem is I live over an hour away from an LBS. The LBS is very small with limited selection. They only Bianchi and Townies.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
82 Posts
I think I saw the auction. Based on what was posted, it looks like an OK deal...I couldn't tell for sure, but i looked like on of the new models with carbon seat stays.

The components listed didn't seem to be what the bike was origially spec'd with; however, if they are going to use Ultegra, they seem to be putting it in the right places...the rear derailleur and the shifters.

If your sure the bike will fit, are comfortable with their description, and don't mind the component mix, I think anything under $900, shipping included would be OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate your time. I did not get the bike. I did not realized it was not as orginally spec. Thanks again

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
82 Posts
bigslowpoke,

What kind of budget are you working with, and where are you located? There are a lot of really good deals out there...I'm sure it isn't going to be tough to find a bike!

I'm sure other forumites will have good opinions also. We'll have you peddelin' a new bike in no time... :cool:

·
Registered
376 Posts
We are almost the same size...

But a lot depends on your build. I have longer legs and a shorter torso, so the 62cm Treks (rode a 5200 for years) are actually a too small for me. I rode a VERY long seatpost and had more drop to the bars than was really comfortable.

Most bike shops will not be stocking 62 or 63 cm frames, because they are not in demand. I had to call around and find a shop that even had one in my size. Some will have one shipped in, but only if they believe you are going to buy it if it fits.

My best recommendation is to spend a few $ (usually 75-100) and get a fitting by a professional at a LBS. May seem like a lot, but they will be able to confirm the sizing you need for a frame. In the long run this will save you a lot. Once I had this done, I realized the 62cm Trek was too small, and then opted for a nice Cannondale 63cm which fit much better. You can also use a fit calculator online (Colorado Cyclist, Zinn, etc.), but if you are not flexible these usually won't take this into account. You would be better off having this done in person by a professional.

The bottom line is you are not of a size that the bike manufacturers are building for, unless you go custom (which I did). You are going to have to work harder to make sure you get a bike that fits you. The bottom line is the right bike is the one that FITS, not the one that is prettiest, has the best spec, etc. If it doesn't fit you won't be happy or comfortable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts