Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered some ENVE 6.7's. I'm currently on Dura Ace C35 wheels and I'm a 6'6" ~235lb rider. I live in the valley so there aren't many hills to speak of within 25 miles of my house. At the end of 60+ mile rides I see some 5-10% grade hills. If I drive to ride, I'm bringing my mountain bike. That said, I do want to do some more hilly road rides this year, but not a ton. MOST of my road miles are going to be flat (~1,000ft gained in 50 miles).

Am I going to regret going with a wheelset this deep? Am I going to regret going with a carbon clincher at my size (braking)?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Enves are supposed to be pretty good for braking heat, for carbon clinchers.

How you fare on them depends on how much you brake, which depends on the roads you ride, your descnding skill and weight. Steep slow technical decents are the worst for brake heat. High speeds convect more heat from the rim.

Aren't c35s carbon clinchers? Or do they have aluminum brake tracks?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I don't know, but after cxwrench gets through with you I predict you ARE going to regret not posting this in the Wheels and Tires forum.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hills aside it's the wind you will have to contend with.
I've talked to a couple knowledgeable friends who have said at my weight, wind shouldn't be a huge issue. I don't really ride in the wind much anyway, but that is a fair point.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If MOST of your road rides will be flat you'll have no issues.

Also, if you do plan on a hilly ride, what's preventing from swapping back to the C35's?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If MOST of your road rides will be flat you'll have no issues.

Also, if you do plan on a hilly ride, what's preventing from swapping back to the C35's?
I'm saving for another house right now so being able to sell them to offset the cost of the ENVE's would be ideal. If the ENVE's can cover 100% of the riding conditions they will see, great.

I have a cross bike with disc brakes for riding in the wet. The road bike only sees 60+ degrees and dry conditions (most of the year here).

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
You will be thoroughly impressed with the weight savings....in your wallet. :D

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
You are considerable larger then I .. But 6.7s are my daily wheels now. I have 3.4s as well. In all but the windiest days I will use the 6.7s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Yeah they are a great set of wheels. Gusty and/or higher wind speeds will make the ride feel like you tightened your headset down too much. They'll just get twitchy. Just use them when it's not as windy.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are considerable larger then I .. But 6.7s are my daily wheels now. I have 3.4s as well. In all but the windiest days I will use the 6.7s

Depends on the weather but I have cx and mtb to ride when it's too windy or wet out.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I'm saving for another house right now so being able to sell them to offset the cost of the ENVE's would be ideal. If the ENVE's can cover 100% of the riding conditions they will see, great.
If money is tight I recommend skipping the expensive wheels. Aero wheels do make a performance improvement but it's small. Small enough that it's not apparent if you are being honest with yourself.

I'd rather have two sets of aluminium wheels than one fancy set of wheels. That way there is a backup when a wheel breaks, which will happen if you ride a lot.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
^ Seriously 6.7 hold speed noticeably better then my 3.4s . Honest I notice

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If money is tight I recommend skipping the expensive wheels. Aero wheels do make a performance improvement but it's small. Small enough that it's not apparent if you are being honest with yourself.

I'd rather have two sets of aluminium wheels than one fancy set of wheels. That way there is a backup when a wheel breaks, which will happen if you ride a lot.
I can afford to keep both, but selling the C35's just puts me that much closer to the new house.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
For the cost of a house around here, I could get a set of Enve wheels for each day of the year.

Are the decals color-coordinated with your trim and handlebar tape? That is what is truly important.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I've been thinking about getting those for my daily wheels. I've pretty much decided on the 4.5s instead so I can get the new brake track and a little bit lighter rim. Just waiting for the right price now really. From the reviews, they should be very nice and you will have no regrets.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Over a theoretical 40K TT, the best aero wheels may save you forty five seconds to a minute. That's about the same as an aero helmet and about half the time saved by a skinsuit. That's what the lab says. Aero wheels are second only to an aero frame as the least cost effective way to go faster.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I used the 6.7's daily for over 18 months. Glorious wheels which never let me down.

I only sold them to get 4.5's as they are a better all round wheel for covering both aero and some climbing.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts