Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was thinking today about just how sugary most cycling-specific foods seem to be, and was wondering if anyone found it a problem. for example.... bonk bars have 16grams, accelerade 20 a serving, hammer gel 2g a swig. before i go out i usually always eat oatmeal with bananas and honey, more sugar. in my daily 30 mile loop i take a swig or two off the gel, a bottle of accelerade, and a bonk bar during or when i get home. basically, what i;m asking is, is this just too much sugar? is it ok because my body is using it up rapidly?

·
I'm just watching a dream
138 Posts
The sugar doesn't seem excessive but it seems like a lot to eat during such a short ride. This has got to be costing you a ton if you ride more than once a week.

180 cals for the gels
250 cals for the bonk bar
90 cals for the accelerade

Thats over 500 cals for a 30 mile ride plus you eat before riding.

Personally, if I'm doing a ride 30 miles or less I take only water. 30-40 miles I will take a sport drink, cytomax 100 cals x 2 bottles. If it's over 40 I will consider taking a bar of some sort plus the cytomax. I'm trying to lose weight though so if I run in the negative I'm good with that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
early... is that a link? it doesn't work for me... thanks for the advice guys. i would like to lose another 5 to 10 lbs so cutting back might be a good plan it sounds like.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Over eating

f1oored said:
The sugar doesn't seem excessive but it seems like a lot to eat during such a short ride. Personally, if I'm doing a ride 30 miles or less I take only water.
For sure. Plus, there is no real reason for what the OP describes as "cycling-specific foods." Assuming he's not overly hungry when he gets on the bike, he can just have some chocolate milk, cheese and bread, yogurt with jam, etc. when he'd done with the ride and it's all good. There is zero magic in "performance foods."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sugar is a crutch to not planning your meals out correctly. Carb sources such as old fashioned oats, steel cut oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and other whole grains are all you need. If you take in 100g of carbs through oats 90 minutes before a ride or a workout you should have more than enough energy to get you through. A banana is about the only "sugary" product I take in for energy.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
That seems like a lot of food for a 30-mile ride. I typically don't eat anything unless riding 40+ miles, and even then get by with a simple granola bar. If it's hot, I fill one of my water bottles with Gatorade. I ride with guys who seem to gulp down gels every 10 miles or so, and it's no wonder that they don't lose weight.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had a good look at what i was drinking during rides and my research directed me away from my usual Gatorade or powerade drinks. These products are 35 to 40 %sugar
My research indicated the need for things like potassium and magnesium and sodium on the longer rides. To assist with muscle fatigue and better electrolite replacement
I found the a drink here in aus called staminade was only 11% sugar and had all the other items the research indicated atleast in low levels. And I must say I can feel difference during and after the ride less fatigue and better recovery!!!
I will be purchasing a product called endura soon expensive but will see how it goes, again it is lite on sugar with more attension paid to other items that the body requires to keep on going (well so they say) lol

my rides are usualy around 40 to 60 miles and I would consume atleast 2 x 700ml bottles
i add this to a few bannanas and thats my day

Have heard Choc Milk is a great recovery drink aswell!!

Twiggy

·
Registered
192 Posts
I too used to use Cytomax in my bottles, even before 1.5 hour training rides. Since
I have a banana and an energy bar two hours earlier, I am now only using Zym
electrolyte tabs for shorter rides. Seems to be helping me loose fat. On longer
rides, I think you start running out of carbs but cycling drinks can be fattening
like anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts