Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
spongebartstatepants
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I ride, my lower legs get grease all over them. I know what you are thinking... chainring tatt, but that's the only place it isn't. I somehow get black on the outside of my right calf and some spots on my left one too. Where is this businass coming from. My bike is pretty darn clean. Help me be not Fred.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
spongebartstatepants said:
Everytime I ride, my lower legs get grease all over them. I know what you are thinking... chainring tatt, but that's the only place it isn't. I somehow get black on the outside of my right calf and some spots on my left one too. Where is this businass coming from. My bike is pretty darn clean. Help me be not Fred.
I used to get chainring tatt's on my left calves too, part of it is to just stay on the bike at all times. when you're coming to a stop, unclip the left leg, not the right. Eventually it'll feel more natural, plus having your strong leg as the starter is nice. try not to twist and turn around on your bike much, i got stuff on the outside of my right calf for a while. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, so one ride i just watched my leg. what I found was at stoplights i was twisting and turning looking at cars and stuff around me. Try to keep your leg from twisting and turning with your torso, and also it helps (IMHO) to lean the bike to the left ( like \ as opposed to | if that makes any sense).

Left, what got me was that i'd get off the bike and carry it up to reststops and whatnot, it's only like 10 feet but it'd still do it. maybe. honestly, i don't know, they eventually just kinda stopped. I never really closely evaluated that much, kind of learned - as the summer progresses you'll get much less grease-prone probably.
-estone2

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Nothing wrong with them They just seem to pick up road grime and do so even more when you lube them often with white lightning like they recommend. I just clean the pedal itself before each ride and it reduces the grime to a managable level. It took me a long time to figure out that the tattoo was from the pedals and not the chain. I also try to be a little more conscious of where the pedal is when I stop. Still love the speedplays.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Grease on the axle

spongebartstatepants said:
Yeah... I have X5's... what the faq is wrong with them and how do i fix it?
The injected grease is extruding out the o-ring seal on the crank side of the pedals. You need to wipe the axle thoroughly with a rag for a week or so until all the grease has come out and everything is clean.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Even long after greasing mine I still get the occasional junk on the pedal. Which used to end up on my leg. I think it's the white lightning I use for pedal lube as recommended & road grime. It's a hard to remove grey/black smudge. No big deal. Occasionally wipe down the pedals and all is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.