Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd pose this question here, since I forget the thread, but the title was certainly implied in a discussion I joined in here.

Now, I've heard a discomforting amount of people talking about how drunk driving is fun. I was brought up to respect cars; having worked road construction, as well as being a cyclist really cemented that in my noggin. When you're piloting a 3,500lb cruise missile down the road, you should not be inhibited in any way.

A roommate of mine would always comment about how he'd get drunk and go cruising in his car because the streetlights looked cool...my step-cousin (whose father was paralyzed in a rollover crash when he was drunk driving) was bragging to all of his friends how fast he could drive while drunk...a dude at the bar was telling me how awesome it was to slam a few beers in the truck, get a cool buzz on, and drift around the backroads in the snow...one of our very own launjers heavily implied that I just didn't get it; drunk driving is a way of life in the sticks...and there are quite a few other examples that I couldn't think of offhand.

So, is drunk driving (or drinking and driving) really this socially acceptable in the 21st century?

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you live in a trailer and your daughters name is honey boo boo chances are you think it is ok. But there is only one solution lock em up for life or shoot em. We take away thier drivers license, so what they drive anyways. Sad state but I'm not sure there is an answer that will work. When 7-11 sells 30oz cans of cold beer on ice by the door what they figure is going to happen.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I don't think there is a very high percentage of country living people that are going to think it is cool to drive drunk.

You do bring up an interesting difference though. Public transportation and taxis in the city make getting home if you had one too many very easy. In the country, that is not an option. With the low BAC, if you are two drinks past the limit (4 beers for a normal sized person) you either planned ahead to get smashed and have a designated driver or you would need to call someone to come pick you up and drop you off at your house. If that is a 20 minute ride, that means it is 80 minutes someone has to devote to the act of you drinking two beers too many. 40 minutes to drop you off round trip and 40 minutes to retrieve your car. Bottom line. Drinking too much when you are out in the country is a big logistical problem. That is still no excuse to make the wrong decision.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I don't think it's a socially acceptable practice, especially since M.A.D.D. saw to it that drunk driving forever be stigmatized. What we need is a similar initiative to stigmatize texting while driving, because that is statistically worse. You're twice as likely to crash while texting than you are while drunk.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think there is a very high percentage of country living people that are going to think it is cool to drive drunk.

You do bring up an interesting difference though. Public transportation and taxis in the city make getting home if you had one too many very easy. In the country, that is not an option. With the low BAC, if you are two drinks past the limit (4 beers for a normal sized person) you either planned ahead to get smashed and have a designated driver or you would need to call someone to come pick you up and drop you off at your house. If that is a 20 minute ride, that means it is 80 minutes someone has to devote to the act of you drinking two beers too many. 40 minutes to drop you off round trip and 40 minutes to retrieve your car. Bottom line. Drinking too much when you are out in the country is a big logistical problem. That is still no excuse to make the wrong decision.

I don't think it's a socially acceptable practice, especially since M.A.D.D. saw to it that drunk driving forever be stigmatized. What we need is a similar initiative to stigmatize texting while driving, because that is statistically worse. You're twice as likely to crash while texting than you are while drunk.
I get your points, but the extremely troubling part for me is the idea of getting drunk specifically for going driving. I know the likes of Jason Aldean and Florida/Georgia Line (among other artists) sing about drinking/drunk driving, but has there been an increase in intentional drinking/drunk driving over the past 10 years?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Self Driving cars are the ONLY answer. I hope they become mandatory in my lifetime. seriously. Even as a suburb-dweller owner of 3 cars and a motorcycle, I very much look forward to the day I can crawl into my car and it handles all the stressful traffic as I relax and focus on life instead of driving. Driving was fun for 15 minutes when I first got a licence. Since then it just sucks. If I want an impressive challenge moving 200km/hr, I go pilot a plane.

Have these self driving all on a network such that an accident becomes an impossibility, or statistically negligible. surely better than the status quo. And eliminates drunk driving too.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
It's not city vs country, it's about maturity and responsibility vs none. 20 years ago I used to think it was no big deal to drive after 'having a couple beers', even though it was quite a bit more than a couple, and more than just beer. Even though I had friends who had died as a result of DUI (either their own or someone else's), I still did it. I continued to do it until the penalties the law levied became too high for me to take the risk. After I had gotten away from the habit, grew up a bit, and started to pay attention to the results of such actions, I saw just how stupid I had been.

When I think back to just how idiotic and dangerous I had been, I have to think that perhaps God must have loved me more than most to have allowed me to live (or even not to be injured) or have killed or hurt someone else then.

I'm coming to think that it's on par with bragging about how you beat up the gay dude for giving you the eye. It's not cool, it's not right, it's illegal, stupid, and wrong. Anybody who brags about such things (either DUI or gay bashing) are best left alone, but kept an eye on. Once such incidents occur, those people should be very high on the suspect list and not given the benefit of the doubt (like the Episcopalian bishop in Maryland).

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
I never thought of it as a 'city vs country' thing as a 'grow up and accept responsibility for your actions' thing.

An old roomie used to get plowed and drive--he actually limped home one night with his car half-wrecked after sideswiping a parked car while driving drunk--and was actually unrepentant about it. He's still doing it (or at least as recently as the last time he could drive to visit me)--get settled in the drivers seat, crack a beer--aka a "roadie'--and continue to drink and drive with a buzz on.

Pretty much everyone else though grew out of it.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
..., but has there been an increase in intentional drinking/drunk driving over the past 10 years?
Finding the exact thing you are asking for (getting drunk in order to drive for fun) is really difficult. Unless you want to give me a few hundred grand to find out :D

But I would guess no, given long terms trends. Note, these are numbers, and not normalized to population (per 100,000 people), so even flat numbers mean a declining rate.

Blue Text Line Colorfulness Font

Might there be a small sub-population doing intentionally stupid things more often? Sure, possible. But given long term trends, those numbers are very likely lower than 20 years ago, not higher.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Self Driving cars are the ONLY answer. I hope they become mandatory in my lifetime. seriously.
It is highly doubtful self-driving cars will become mandatory in the United States. Personal freedoms and whatnot. However, I do see Americans voluntarily adopting self-driving cars en masse once the insurance companies catch onto the game. Insurance carriers will quickly realize how much safer self-driving cars are compared to normal ones, and as we all know these companies' primary motive is profit and reducing their bottom line. From a liability standpoint, it will make perfect sense for them to raise rates on traditional cars and give affordable rates for the self-driving ones. Sooner or later traditional cars will be prohibitively expensive to insure unless you're in the upper 1%.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
It's not cool, it's not acceptable, HOWEVER it is far too common. I hear on the Madison news regularly about crashes involving drivers with 4, 5 or 6 DUI. Repeat offenders should not ever be allowed to drive again and if caught, there should be mandatory jail time. Of course, a large percentage of the repeat offenders are driving with no license.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
More reason to move into the city, lose the car and ride a bike.

Riding a bike while under the influence is no better. You'll have a higher chance to crash into something or someone. BUT!!! the chances of you getting arrested by the cops are far less than in a car.

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Thought I'd pose this question here, since I forget the thread, but the title was certainly implied in a discussion I joined in here.

Now, I've heard a discomforting amount of people talking about how drunk driving is fun. I was brought up to respect cars; having worked road construction, as well as being a cyclist really cemented that in my noggin. When you're piloting a 3,500lb cruise missile down the road, you should not be inhibited in any way.

A roommate of mine would always comment about how he'd get drunk and go cruising in his car because the streetlights looked cool...my step-cousin (whose father was paralyzed in a rollover crash when he was drunk driving) was bragging to all of his friends how fast he could drive while drunk...a dude at the bar was telling me how awesome it was to slam a few beers in the truck, get a cool buzz on, and drift around the backroads in the snow...one of our very own launjers heavily implied that I just didn't get it; drunk driving is a way of life in the sticks...and there are quite a few other examples that I couldn't think of offhand.

So, is drunk driving (or drinking and driving) really this socially acceptable in the 21st century?
Honestly, I've never personally run into these attitudes with alcohol (though I have heard potheads insisting they drive great while stoned). What I do see is alcoholics who drive drunk even though they know it's a terrible thing to do (at least while sober)- they are too addicted and their judgment is too impaired once they are drunk.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly, I've never personally run into these attitudes with alcohol (though I have heard potheads insisting they drive great while stoned). What I do see is alcoholics who drive drunk even though they know it's a terrible thing to do (at least while sober)- they are too addicted and their judgment is too impaired once they are drunk.
The confusing bit for me is that most true alcoholics I've known had no remorse for driving drunk...since their norm was being intoxicated, they saw no reason to change.

Of the examples I cited (anecdotal as they were), one was an African American from metro Chicago, one was a relatively middle-class suburban white kid, and the third was a 40something guy who seemed blue collar no doubt, but very well off monetarily.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Viewpoints most certainly vary by country.

Just came back from a country in Europe where the limit was four times less than it is here, but most people treat it basically as 0.00. People - from the largest urban area to the smallest ass backwards village - are so terrified of getting locked up and losing their driving licenses that they ask you what you plan on doing tomorrow morning when pouring you a drink (worrying about you blood levels tomorrow morning). I was literally talked out of driving home after one .5l beer. Mind you this is a eastern bloc country with a long tradition of alcoholism filled with characters who filter not for human consumption alcohol products through a loaf of bread and then pound it down. I was really surprised as I've experienced it a few years ago but wrote those people off as an out of the bell curve anomaly.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
I'd like to see all licenses treated the same way commercial licenses are; 1st offense is your last offense. Automatic loss of license, mandatory 1 year in jail, minimum of $1k fine up to $10k depending on the circumstances.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Just read about a 24yr old woman who decided to kill herself by driving drunk into a wall or off a cliff or something. Instead, she rear-ended a snow removal vehicle, killing the city worker, but not herself.

Abso-****ing-lutely bad idea to drink/drive, living in the sticks included.

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
I'd like to see all licenses treated the same way commercial licenses are; 1st offense is your last offense. Automatic loss of license, mandatory 1 year in jail, minimum of $1k fine up to $10k depending on the circumstances.
Wouldn't necessarily make a difference for the worst offenders. There's a lot of people who are are in and out of jail on multiple repeat DUIs. They get locked up for a year, and get behind the wheel as soon as they get out (license or no). It already costs about $10k for a first offense here (at least that's what the billboards around town say).

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
No, not at all.

Things are WAY better than they use to be. I remember my dad asking me to hold his drink as he got into the car to drive us around. I remember in high school, driving with one eye open, and praying to get home in one piece.

My kids 19 and 18, are way more aware of drinking and driving then I was at that age. My son's fraternity have DDs. They are usually pledges, and they will kick them out if they drink and it is their night to drive.

Today, I am scarred to death to drive even after 1 beer at dinner. I hate that feeling even after 1 beer of driving and thinking, I'm not 100% alert and if I have to react to another car, I might not.

I don't see anyone going out of their way to get boozed up and then drive. But I do still see people drink way more than I would and then drive home.

No, if I'm going to enjoy one or two of my 10%+ ABV Belgium beers, I want to be home.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
More reason to move into the city, lose the car and ride a bike.

Riding a bike while under the influence is no better. You'll have a higher chance to crash into something or someone. BUT!!! the chances of you getting arrested by the cops are far less than in a car.
looking at recent cyclist deaths around here, the bulk of them happened in the downtown core of my city. Meanwhile the environs are peppered with hundreds of cyclists every day on the country roads which have not seen a cyclist death in maybe 10 years. We've had a couple deaths downtown already this year.

thugh I agree, more likely to have drunk drivers in the suburbs and country. Not because of ******* culture, but because it is easier for them to get away with it there, plus folks living there have more need to drive to get things, go to places.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts