Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ride for the last 4 years has been a Schwinn Sierra 700GS. The only thing left from the original bike is the frame & wheels. The comfort bar went to a flatbar, tire upgrade, I love the new shinburger peddles etc.

I've been toying with a new bike but I'm kind of attached to this one. We've gone probably over 10K together. I have the bar/ends setup the way Iike and I'm very comfortable on this bike.

Now it's time to replace the rear freewheel, repack balls etc.

What I really like about this frame is it's all top tube routed cabling and there's a braze on for a kickstand, God forbid.

I'm thinking about replacing the wheels, crank etc and really upgrading the whole bike.

Is the aluminum used on this frame inferior? It's 6000.

Is the chro-mo fork junk?

Jeff

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not nuts

Certainly nothing wrong with investing to keep a bike you enjoy in working order. It sounds like the bike fits you and serves your needs. I wouldn't put a lot of money into upgrades just for the sake of upgrades. I'd replace parts as needed, maybe with components that are a step up from the original. Also nothing wrong with the frame or fork. Maybe not the latest, greatest or lightest, but they work for you. Someday if you want a high-end bike you can spend the money on a whole new setup and keep the schwinn as a commuter/general purpose/backup ot whatever.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts