Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B-girl makes fun of me for trying to save 30 or fiddy cents on a product using coupons at the grocery.

I constantly look for deals on whatever I buy. But I always look for coupons in the newspaper or other circulars..oil changes, smoothies, burgers, but mainly groceries. Maybe it's because I act like I've just struck goldwhen good cupons come my way.:crazy:

Anyway, my lament is the decline in the volume of Sunday newspaper coupon offerings.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
You act like you think old fashioned = bad.

Yeah, it's less common for younger people or people with plenty of money to get gaga over coupons, but it's not weird. Hell, I think you're ahead of a big trend. When everybody loses their job, they're gonna be all about coupons, and you'll be all up on the best way to work the angles and what the best little alphabetical coupon organizer is and all that.

One of my coworkers (all of 27 or so) loves coupons so much that he did a experiment to see how much stuff you could get from the CVS drugstore for $10, by manipulating their various buy one, get one free, instant rebates and coupons. He managed, in the course of a week, to get about $70 worth of stuff for a total outlay of $10. He's the king of buying diapers for next to nothing. He actually organized a powerpoint presentation and gave a lecture on his experiment at lunchtime one day. Very well attended.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bikeboy389 said:
You act like you think old fashioned = bad.

Yeah, it's less common for younger people or people with plenty of money to get gaga over coupons, but it's not weird. Hell, I think you're ahead of a big trend. When everybody loses their job, they're gonna be all about coupons, and you'll be all up on the best way to work the angles and what the best little alphabetical coupon organizer is and all that.

One of my coworkers (all of 27 or so) loves coupons so much that he did a experiment to see how much stuff you could get from the CVS drugstore for $10, by manipulating their various buy one, get one free, instant rebates and coupons. He managed, in the course of a week, to get about $70 worth of stuff for a total outlay of $10. He's the king of buying diapers for next to nothing. He actually organized a powerpoint presentation and gave a lecture on his experiment at lunchtime one day. Very well attended.

oh,dude...CVS is a GOLD mine!

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
He managed, in the course of a week, to get about $70 worth of stuff for a total outlay of $10.
And paid himself $3.25 an hour in doing so.

My ex-father in law was the king of the coupon mentality. With 5 kids I guess he figured he needed to stretch every dollar. Saturday at his house was a riot, the morning began with coupon clipping from all the Saturday ads. Then he'd go out hunting and gathering all day long, all over town saving 50 cents here and 75 cents there. Almost certainly he got the most for his dollar, but he spent 10 hours and 100 miles of driving doing it.

For some people it's a hobby I think.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
my problem with coupons is that I would inevitably have to buy stuff i would NEVER buy without coupons. When was the last time you saw a coupon for a bag of flour? or generic items which are already cheaper than the coupon priced items?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
My 2 sisters and SIL are absolutly hooked on clipping cupons.

Sunday Morning starts at 6am with a scouring of the local stores buying 20 or 30 Sunday papers. Rest of day is cutting, sorting and planning to use cupons.

CVS is thier favorite. My sisters 1 BR apt got so overcrowded with cases of toothpaste, shampoo, raxorblades ets, that she had to take over my other sisters basement.

They are so proud of all the "free" stuff they get, they forget to realize that a.) they will never use all the stuff they get & b.) if you value their time, it's costing them 2X as much to get what they won't use.

At one point last summer, they had cornered the Philly market on blood sugar monitors....and none of them is a diabetic.

It's a sickness.

len

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
Len J said:

Sunday Morning starts at 6am with a scouring of the local stores buying 20 or 30 Sunday papers. Rest of day is cutting, sorting and planning to use cupons.

CVS is thier favorite. My sisters 1 BR apt got so overcrowded with cases of toothpaste, shampoo, raxorblades ets, that she had to take over my other sisters basement.

They are so proud of all the "free" stuff they get, they forget to realize that a.) they will never use all the stuff they get & b.) if you value their time, it's costing them 2X as much to get what they won't use.

At one point last summer, they had cornered the Philly market on blood sugar monitors....and none of them is a diabetic.

It's a sickness.

len
it is indeed, my sisters have it......my dad too........btw I think if you re-evaluate the paying for stuff that they will NEVER use, it is a LOT more expensive than 2x !

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Len J said:

It's a sickness.

len
Well, in my friend's defense, he did it as an experiment mostly, and when he was done and ended up with tons of antacids and shampoo and stuff, he donated it to some organization that ships stuff like that to the military in Iraq and Afghanistan.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Len J said:

It's a sickness.

len
I am no that bad, yet. I use them for things I do use and don't buy only because there's coupon around.

It does feel good to save some cash at the grocery.

I save a little each week. I think I saved nearly 750 last year, maybe a little over. That bought my BMC Streetfire frame and then some.

This year it will go into Scarlett's savings or wherever else it might need to go.:thumbsup:

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
teh moreon said:
I am no that bad, yet. I use them for things I do use and don't buy only because there's coupon around.

It does feel good to save some cash at the grocery.

I save a little each week. I think I saved nearly 750 last year, maybe a little over. That bought my BMC Streetfire frame and then some.

This year it will go into Scarlett's savings or wherever else it might need to go.:thumbsup:
After my divorce.........I set up a deal with my kids (who were young at the time) that after I picked them up, we'd go food shopping and any coupons that they had that I used I would give them the money.....we had some funny moments in the grocery store as they tried to "convince me" that we needed something I would never buy.......but the uptake was it taught them the value of money at a very early age.

Len

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
if find shopping at the right store is cheaper than using coupons.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts